Clock face notation of a Transformer's "Vector Group"

In summary, the conversation is about the vector group in transformers and clarifying the concept of phase angle and clock notation. The phase angle is the angle between the line voltage of the HV and LV side, and the clock notation represents the phase difference between the two. The vector group is important for paralleling transformers and reducing harmonic currents. The phasors are assumed to rotate in a counter-clockwise direction.
jaus tail
Hi,
I'm studying transformer and am a bit confused. Say for vector group: Dy11, I guess it's the line voltage of LV leads the Line voltage of HV by 30 degrees. Book says phase angle. The phase angle is line voltage right,
since the phase voltage of HV and LV will always be in phase with each other.

I googled up for it, but everywhere it says phase angle. Just wanted to clarify whether phase angle is angle between line voltage of lv and hv side.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The phase is measured between the three conductors on the primary or the three on the secondary. A 3PH transformer can be wound to generate any phase shift of the output required, but you can assume the secondary voltages will be in phase with the primary voltage. Only the inductive magnetising current will be at 90° to the phase voltage.

A three phase system has three single phases. The only difference between phases is that they are separated in time by a 120° phase shift. The three phase primary inputs have the same amplitude, or RMS voltages.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-phase

A phasor diagram of a 3PH system will show three vectors of equal length radiating from a neutral at the origin to a common circle. Those vectors rotate once on the diagram for each cycle of the AC supply. That is a Y connection.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phasor#Phasor_diagrams

Notice that the vectors on the phasor diagram can be connected in an equilateral triangle that is closed, with all phasors summing to zero. That is a delta connection. There is no central neutral terminal. The circle that the three Delta terminals follow is smaller than the Y circle.

Likes jaus tail
Yeah I've studied the equilateral triangle method and know the conventions of how to derive clock 11 or 1 or 0 or 6 from dot convention. But I guess the clock gives phase difference between line voltage of HV and LV. I'm confused here.
In star-delta transformer, there is 30 degree phase shift from HV line to LV line. This can be lead or lag depending on connections. So am I right in saying the clock(11 or 1) represents the phase difference between HV and LV line voltage?
I know that for delta we draw triangle and then take a neutral point at centre, join this with A2 to get other hand of clock.

jaus tail said:
So am I right in saying the clock(11 or 1) represents the phase difference between HV and LV line voltage?
Correct.
From http://www.transformerworld.co.uk/vector.htm

The digits ( 0, 1, 11 etc) relate to the phase displacement between the HV and LV windings using a clock face notation. The phasor representing the HV winding is taken as reference and set at 12 o'clock. It then follows that:

Digit 0 means that the LV phasor is in phase with the HV phasor
Digit 1 that it lags by 30 degrees
Digit 11 that it leads by 30 degrees
etc

All references are taken from phase-to-neutral and assume a counter-clockwise phase rotation. The neutral point may be real (as in a star connection) or imaginary (as in a delta connection)

Likes jaus tail
The “Vector Group” of a transformer is critical when paralleling transformers connected as Star to Delta, or that reduce or cancel harmonic currents through having 'elbows' in the Y phasors.
http://electrical-engineering-portal.com/understanding-vector-group-transformer-1
http://electrical-engineering-portal.com/understanding-vector-group-transformer-1
http://electrical-engineering-portal.com/understanding-vector-group-transformer-2

Likes jaus tail
IEC 60076-1 Definitions ch.3.10.6
Phase displacement of a three-phase winding
The angular difference between the phasors representing the voltages between the neutral point (real or imaginary) and the corresponding terminals of two windings, a positive sequence voltage system being applied to the high-voltage terminals, following each other in alphabetical sequence if they are lettered, or in numerical sequence if they are numbered.
The phasors are assumed to rotate in a counter-clockwise sense
upload_2018-1-17_9-7-46.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-17_9-7-46.png
    upload_2018-1-17_9-7-46.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 3,285
Likes jaus tail
Sorry,it has to be:
upload_2018-1-17_11-41-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-17_11-38-41.png
    upload_2018-1-17_11-38-41.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 1,063
  • upload_2018-1-17_11-41-17.png
    upload_2018-1-17_11-41-17.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 3,620
Likes jaus tail and Baluncore
Wow how'd i miss this thread ? Would have helped me in your homework thread, old jim

Likes dlgoff

1. What is clock face notation in a transformer's vector group?

Clock face notation is a method of representing the connections and phases of a transformer's windings. It uses a clock face diagram, where the clock hands represent the winding terminals, to indicate the relative positions of the windings.

2. How does clock face notation work?

In clock face notation, the winding terminals are represented by numbers on the clock face, with the high voltage winding at 12 o'clock and the low voltage winding at 6 o'clock. The phase relationships between the windings are shown by the angles between the clock hands.

3. What does the letter in a transformer's vector group represent?

The letter in a transformer's vector group represents the phase displacement between the primary and secondary windings. The most common letters used are Y (wye), D (delta), Z (zigzag), and N (neutral). These letters are followed by numbers that indicate the magnitude of the phase shift.

4. How is clock face notation useful in transformer design?

Clock face notation is useful in transformer design as it allows engineers to easily visualize and understand the connections and phase relationships between different windings. This is important in ensuring that the transformer will function properly and safely.

5. Are there any limitations to using clock face notation in transformers?

While clock face notation is a helpful tool, it has some limitations. It does not provide information about the polarity or direction of the windings, and it cannot be used for transformers with more than three windings. Additionally, different countries may use slightly different versions of clock face notation, so it is important to confirm the notation being used when working with transformers from different regions.