Closed form solutions to integrals of the following type?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
eyesontheball1
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
For any integral where the integrand is of the form f(θ)^z, with z a complex number, and f(θ) = sin(θ), cos(θ), tan(θ), ... etc., θ being either real or complex. Is it possible to explicitly solve for an antiderivative? I'm not aware of any such way I could use residues/series representations here, and I've tried all kinds of substitutions for integrals of this type; in particular, of [sin(θ)]^z, z being a complex constant. Thank you in advance!


David
 
Physics news on Phys.org
eyesontheball1 said:
For any integral where the integrand is of the form f(θ)^z, with z a complex number, and f(θ) = sin(θ), cos(θ), tan(θ), ... etc., θ being either real or complex. Is it possible to explicitly solve for an antiderivative? I'm not aware of any such way I could use residues/series representations here, and I've tried all kinds of substitutions for integrals of this type; in particular, of [sin(θ)]^z, z being a complex constant. Thank you in advance!


David

Hi!

most of them can be expressed in terms of hypergeometric functions.
 
Would you mind showing exactly how such an integral can be expressed via a hypergeometric function? Thanks in advance!