Closed integral problem: field in the plane of a magnetic dipole

In summary, the magnetic field of the Earth falls off according to an inverse cube law at several Earth radii. The field can thus be roughly described in terms of a magnetic dipole at the centre of the Earth. If the field strength is 10-4 G at 15 Earth radii in the equatorial plane what is the magentic dipole moment of the Earth?
Order
I have read about Biot-Savarts law but I have no idea how to solve it when the curve is dependent of some variable. My books in mathematics don't help, nor my books in physics. You are welcome to give me a link where I can read about this, but first let me know if I have got it right this far. Now, to the problem!

Homework Statement

The magnetic field of the Earth is found to fall off according to an inverse cube law at several Earth radii. The field can thus be roughly described in terms of a magnetic dipole at the centre of the Earth. If the field strength is 10-4 G at 15 Earth radii in the equatorial plane what is the magentic dipole moment of the Earth? (Radius of Earth≈6000 km.)

Homework Equations

[tex]\textbf{B}(\textbf{r})= \frac{\mu_0 I}{4 \pi} \oint_s \frac{d\textbf{l´}\times(\textbf{r-r´)}}{|\textbf{r-r´}|^3}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I want to find out the magnetic field of the dipole at a large distance. So first I made a sketch of the problem in the thumbnail below. Then I dig into the Biot-Savart formula and realize that according to the law of cosines
[tex]d^2=(\textbf{r-r´})^2=x^2+R^2-2xR\cos \theta \simeq x^2-2xR\cos \theta[/tex]
And
[tex]d\textbf{l´}\times(\textbf{r-r´})=\sin (\pi/2-\varphi)dl d \hat{y}=\cos (\varphi)Rdd\theta \hat{y}[/tex]
But now since the angle ##\phi \simeq 0 ## I see that
[tex]\cos \varphi \simeq \cos (\pi-\theta ) = -\cos \theta[/tex]
So putting it all together
[tex]\textbf{B}(x)= \frac{\mu_0 I}{4 \pi} \oint_s \frac{Rd \theta \cos \varphi}{d^2}\hat{y}\simeq \frac{\mu_0 I}{4 \pi} \oint_s \frac{-R \cos \theta}{x^2-2Rx\cos \theta}\hat{y}d \theta=-\frac{\mu_0 I}{4 \pi} \frac{R}{x^2} \oint_s \frac{\cos \theta}{1-2R/x \cos \theta}\hat{y} d \theta [/tex]
And since I don't know how to integrate this I don't even know if I'm right. That's my dilemma.

Attachments

• Magnetic dipole.jpg
    Magnetic dipole.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 352
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Order.

Order said:
But now since the angle ##\phi \simeq 0 ## I see that
[tex]\cos \varphi \simeq \cos (\pi-\theta ) = -\cos \theta[/tex]

I think you went too far in this approximation when you approximated ##\phi## by zero. I made the same approximation at first, but kept getting the wrong answer by a factor of 2. Only when I went back and kept the first order approximation in ##\phi## did it all work out.

## -\frac{\mu_0 I}{4 \pi} \frac{R}{x^2} \oint_s \frac{\cos \theta}{1-2R/x \cos \theta}\hat{y} d \theta##

You can use the approximation ##1/(1-\epsilon) \approx 1+\epsilon## for small ##\epsilon## to simplify the integral.

Likes 1 person
Solved

TSny said:
I think you went too far in this approximation when you approximated ##\phi## by zero. I made the same approximation at first, but kept getting the wrong answer by a factor of 2. Only when I went back and kept the first order approximation in ##\phi## did it all work out.

Yes, obviously the cosine of the angle is dependent of ##\phi## to first order. I should have understood that. I got an estimation of ##\cos \varphi ## without making this assumption (##\phi=0##) but it was half a page of trigonometric calculations and approximations! (There must be an easier way.) I got it all right in the end (after 3 Days).

Anyway, the real reason I posted was because I did not understand the closed integral. I thought I would have to use Green's theorem or some other gadget to solve it :redface:. But now I am no longer afraid of them.

1. What is a closed integral problem?

A closed integral problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the value of an integral over a closed path. In other words, it is the process of calculating the total change in a quantity within a closed system. This type of problem is commonly encountered in physics and engineering, particularly when dealing with vector fields.

2. What is a magnetic dipole?

A magnetic dipole is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism that refers to a system of two equal and opposite magnetic poles separated by a small distance. This can be thought of as a magnetic version of an electric dipole, with a north and south pole instead of positive and negative charges. In the context of a closed integral problem, the magnetic dipole is used to represent the source of a magnetic field.

3. What is the significance of the plane in a magnetic dipole field?

The plane in a magnetic dipole field refers to the imaginary surface that is perpendicular to the axis of the dipole and intersects it at its midpoint. This plane is significant because it is where the magnetic field is most intense and where the field lines are closest together. It is also where the closed integral problem is often solved, as the field is most easily described in this plane.

4. How is the field in the plane of a magnetic dipole calculated?

The field in the plane of a magnetic dipole can be calculated using the equation B = μ0m/(4πr^3), where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, m is the magnetic dipole moment, and r is the distance from the dipole. This equation describes the strength and direction of the magnetic field at any point in the plane of the dipole.

5. Can the closed integral problem for a magnetic dipole be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the closed integral problem for a magnetic dipole has many practical applications in engineering and physics. For example, it can be used to calculate the magnetic field strength and direction of a bar magnet, a compass needle, or even the Earth's magnetic field. It is also used in the design and analysis of magnetic sensors and devices, such as MRI machines and particle accelerators.