1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closed set equivalence theorem

1. Dec 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi guys, this problem gave me some trouble before, but I'd like to know if I have it worked out now.....

"If S = S[tex]\cup[/tex]BdyS, then S is closed (S[tex]_{compliment}[/tex] is open)

2. Relevant equations
    S is equal to it's closure.

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. Pick a point p in S[tex]^{compliment}[/tex].
    2. For all points q[tex]^{n}[/tex] in S, let [tex]\delta[/tex] = min{|p-q[tex]^{n}[/tex]|}
    3. Dfine B(p,[tex]\delta[/tex])
    4. For any point in S[tex]^{compliment}[/tex], we can produce [tex]\delta[/tex]>0 such that B(p,[tex]\delta[/tex])[tex]\subset[/tex]S[tex]^{compliment}[/tex]. Therefore, all points in S[tex]^{compliment}[/tex] are interior points; therefore, S[tex]_{compliment}[/tex] is open, and S is closed.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2009 #2
    I am having a hard time figuring out what you mean by "S[tex]\cup[/tex]BdyS"

4. Dec 10, 2009 #3
    Oh! I'm sorry if I was unclear about something.....

"S[tex]\cup[/tex]BdyS" refers to the union of the set S with its boundary, and is called Closure(S)

It can also be referred to as the union of the interior of S with the boundary of S.

(Someone tell me if I made an error!)

5. Dec 11, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How do you know there exist such a minimum? Not every set has a minimum. Every set of real numbers, bounded below, has an infimum (greatest lower bound). But then how do you know it is not 0?

6. Dec 11, 2009 #5
    Argh, that makes it even worse for me because now I really have no idea how to finish this one.

What I have so far is:
    1. Pick a point z in Compliment(S)
    2.Then, z is not in S, and is not in Closure(S) by hypothesis

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook