Closed trajectories in phase space

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that a given trajectory in phase space is closed. One person suggests using the Hamilton equations, while the other is looking for a simpler method. They mention plotting trajectories and finding a value of x where dx/dt is zero, but question if this is a valid proof. They also mention the energy equation E=\frac{1}{2}\dot{x}^2 +\frac{1}{2}x^2 + \frac{\epsilon}{4}x^4 and the desire for an elementary way to show it closes on itself.
ralqs
In general, how do you prove that a given trajectory in phase space is closed?

For example, suppose the energy E of a one-dimensional system is given by [itex]E=\frac{1}{2}\dot{x}^2 +\frac{1}{2}x^2 + \frac{\epsilon}{4}x^4[/itex], where ε is a positive constant. Now, I can easily show that all phase trajectories, regardless of energy, are closed by just plotting the various trajectories. But how do I prove it?

I can show that for any (positive) value of E, there's a value of x such that dx/dt is zero. But does this *prove* that the phase trajectories are closed? If it does, I don't see how.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could always just use the Hamilton equations to solve for the equations of motion p(t) and x(t) and then solve them for each other to get something like p(x) and show that this results in closed orbits.

Are you asking for a simpler way to do it?

Matterwave said:
Are you asking for a simpler way to do it?

Yes. Especially because I haven't yet learned the Hamiltonian formalism. I would think that there's a more or less elementary way to show [itex]\dot{x}^2 + x^2 + \frac{\epsilon}{2}x^4 =\mathrm{constant}[/itex] closes on itself, but try as I might I can't come up with anything...

1. What are closed trajectories in phase space?

Closed trajectories in phase space are the paths that a system follows in its phase space over time. They represent the evolution of the system's state over time and can be closed or periodic, meaning that the system returns to its starting point after a certain period of time.

2. How are closed trajectories related to conservation laws?

Closed trajectories are directly related to conservation laws, such as the conservation of energy and momentum. This is because closed trajectories represent the path of a system's state over time, and in a closed system, the total energy and momentum must remain constant.

3. How do closed trajectories differ from open trajectories?

The main difference between closed and open trajectories is that closed trajectories return to their starting point, while open trajectories do not. Open trajectories represent the path of a system's state over time in an open system, where energy and/or momentum can be exchanged with the surroundings.

4. Can a closed trajectory exist in a chaotic system?

Yes, a closed trajectory can exist in a chaotic system. In chaotic systems, the paths of particles can appear random and unpredictable, but they can still form closed trajectories. However, these closed trajectories may not be stable and can change over time.

5. How are closed trajectories visualized in phase space?

Closed trajectories in phase space are typically visualized using phase space diagrams. These diagrams plot the variables of a system against each other in a two-dimensional graph, with the trajectory representing the path of the system's state over time. The shape and characteristics of the trajectory can provide important insights into the behavior of the system.