Coagulating iceteroidal 'fines'

Nik_2213
As I understand it, a warmed comet nucleus or 'iceteroid' will out-gas as it crosses relevant 'ice lines', shed silicate dust ranging from cm-scale down to 'fines' unto electron microscopic.

As 'fines' are generally near-fractal, porous and 'fluffy', it is not useful as-is. Worse, too much has a size to cause lung-damage if unwarily freed into habitat atmosphere...

By accident, per lunar dust on Apollo suits, or to use gleaned silicate material to extend planter 'bedding'...

While still under micro-gravity, in vacuum, would a wary plasma 'glow' safely aggregate and 'weld' such fines ?

By analogy with the 'Young Sun' solar flares thought to have welded some of the primordial chondrites' / chondrules' constituents found in 'falls'...

Physics news on Phys.org
After a quick glance I could not figure out what you are talking about. Care to clarify?

Such 'fines' form the dust-tail if shed from a comet. IIRC, several asteroid probes met such. Like Moon-dust, it could be a significant problem for astronauts and their equipment..

Industrial analogy would be soot / ash shed from 'dirty' chimney. Electrostatic precipitators help, but require much maintenance.

Another analogy would be volcanic ash, the 'floaty' fraction that disperses far down-wind, is too-easily re-mobilised, wreaks havoc in machinery and lungs...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_soil
quote:
Lunar soil is the fine fraction of lunar regolith found on the surface of the Moon and contributes to the Moon's tenuous atmosphere. Lunar soil differs in its origin and properties significantly from terrestrial soil.

As the Moon's fine surface layer, lunar soil is picked up by even weak natural phenomena active at the Moon's surface, allowing it to be part of the Moon's scant atmosphere. It is easily disturbed and poses a significant hazard to exposed equipment and human health. The fine lunar soil is made of sharp and very adhesive particles, with a distinct gunpowder taste and smell. That said, lunar soil is prospected as a lunar resource, particularly for lunar in situ utilization, such as a lunar building material and soil for growing plants on the Moon.
/

The density of material in a cometary tail is very low. Almost certainly too low to ever pose a serious risk to anyone.

"Such 'fines' form the dust-tail if shed from a comet."

My query is about those 'fines' on an icy asteroid or before ejected from potential comet nucleus, latter perhaps in Kuiper Belt or 'Inner Oort' so pristine / minimally modified.

IIRC, the recent asteroid / comet fly-by / rendezvous / impact missions showed their varied surfaces, albeit at 'inner system' distances / environment, are hostile.

Agreed, the worst a comet tail can manage is a splendid shower of 'shooting stars' and/or terrify people due to spectroscopic detection of HCN...

Nik_2213 said:
My query is about those 'fines' on an icy asteroid or before ejected from potential comet nucleus, latter perhaps in Kuiper Belt or 'Inner Oort' so pristine / minimally modified.
I suppose the dust would be about as hazardous as dust from the Moon. What exactly are you wanting to know?

While still under micro-gravity, in vacuum, would a wary plasma 'glow' safely aggregate and 'weld' such fines ?

What is a 'wary plasma glow'?

That I can't really answer. It's well beyond my level of knowledge in this area.

Back