Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coding - instilling a subconcious fear

1. Nov 28, 2011 #1
    "coding" - instilling a subconcious fear

I just came across this article from 2005 and I found it curious

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/01/AR2005100101196.html

I don't know a crap about psychology or medicine, so can somebody with knowledge explain if this therapy is possible to use even against a patient who knows it's just a placebo?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2011 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Re: "coding" - instilling a subconcious fear

If the patient knows it's a joke, it's not going to work. They have to believe on some level.

4. Dec 4, 2011 #3

Consciously the patient might think it's a joke, but the subconscious part of his brain might not think so..

It might be the same kind of thing after watching a very nasty horror film, if I'd make a guess.

Anyway, only one reply in this thread? :(

5. Dec 5, 2011 #4

I think Evo's right, and you're basically saying a different version of the same thing, that the person might believe it on some level while consciously not believing they believe it.

A good hypnotist can circumvent what you consciously believe and get to the undiscriminating child inside you.

The fairly recently recognized phenomenon of Alert Hypnosis

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16696560

allows for the possibility of people being hypnotized without them being aware it's happening, which is what people like Derren Brown claim to be doing sometimes.

To the extent someone could convince you, deep down, that anti-alcoholic "coding" is, in fact effected by the drugs and not the power of suggestion, it ought to work, despite any rumors you've heard to the contrary.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook