Coefficient of friction for bronze on stainless steel?

In summary, the conversation is about finding static and dynamic coefficients of friction for bronze on stainless steel in dry conditions. The closest resource found was for steel on bronze in greasy conditions, and the coefficients can vary depending on surface topography. The suggestion is to determine the coefficients experimentally, but the person is looking for a general value for a quick calculation. A possible lower bound is 0.35 for steel and phosphor bronze. A method for determining the coefficient using a sine plate is mentioned, but no luck has been found in finding the specific value. The conversation will continue after the weekend.
servaa
Hello,

I am looking for static and dynamic coefficients of friction for bronze on stainless steel (dry condition). Closest thing I could find was http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/frictioncoefficients.htm" where it only has steel on bronze under greasy condition.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Friction coefficients are notorious for being all over the map, since they can be very strongly dependent on surface topography. I would recommend determining the coefficients experimentally, rather than using values from a table.

I am doing a quick calculation for preliminary design, and experimental method is not an option. I was hoping someone could provide a general value.

I don't know any online resources, but will try to remember to look in my materials handbooks when I get a chance.

Your table specs 0.35 for steel and phosphor bronze. You can use that as a nearby lower bound, as phosphor bronzes tend to have lower friction than regular 12% bronzes.

Sounds perfect, Gokul. Thanks in advance for help.

If you fix a flat piece to a sine plate and put another flat piece of the other material on top of that, you can slowly jack it up until it slides off. The static coefficient can be derived from the angle of the incline with some simple dynamics.

No luck on this number so far. There's one other place I could check, but that'll have to wait till after the weekend.

1. What is the coefficient of friction for bronze on stainless steel?

The coefficient of friction for bronze on stainless steel can vary depending on factors such as surface finish, temperature, and lubrication. However, on average, it ranges from 0.25 to 0.35.

2. How is the coefficient of friction for bronze on stainless steel determined?

The coefficient of friction is typically determined through experiments where a bronze sample is dragged against a stainless steel surface at a constant speed and the force required to maintain the movement is measured. This force is then divided by the weight of the bronze sample to obtain the coefficient of friction.

3. How does the coefficient of friction for bronze on stainless steel affect the performance of mechanical components?

The coefficient of friction plays a significant role in the performance of mechanical components made of bronze and stainless steel. A higher coefficient of friction means there is more resistance between the two materials, which can lead to increased wear and energy loss. Therefore, it is important to consider the coefficient of friction when designing mechanical systems.

4. Can the coefficient of friction for bronze on stainless steel be reduced?

Yes, the coefficient of friction can be reduced through the use of lubricants. Adding a lubricant between the bronze and stainless steel surfaces can significantly decrease the coefficient of friction, resulting in smoother and more efficient movement between the two materials.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the coefficient of friction for bronze on stainless steel?

Aside from surface finish, temperature, and lubrication, other factors that can affect the coefficient of friction include load, velocity, and roughness of the materials. It is important to consider all of these factors when determining the coefficient of friction for a specific application.