Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficient of friction for bronze on stainless steel?

1. Jul 15, 2010 #1
    Hello,

I am looking for static and dynamic coefficients of friction for bronze on stainless steel (dry condition). Closest thing I could find was http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/frictioncoefficients.htm" [Broken] where it only has steel on bronze under greasy condition.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
    Chris

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2010 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Friction coefficients are notorious for being all over the map, since they can be very strongly dependent on surface topography. I would recommend determining the coefficients experimentally, rather than using values from a table.

4. Jul 15, 2010 #3
    I am doing a quick calculation for preliminary design, and experimental method is not an option. I was hoping someone could provide a general value.

5. Jul 15, 2010 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know any online resources, but will try to remember to look in my materials handbooks when I get a chance.

Your table specs 0.35 for steel and phosphor bronze. You can use that as a nearby lower bound, as phosphor bronzes tend to have lower friction than regular 12% bronzes.

6. Jul 15, 2010 #5
    Sounds perfect, Gokul. Thanks in advance for help.

7. Jul 15, 2010 #6
    If you fix a flat piece to a sine plate and put another flat piece of the other material on top of that, you can slowly jack it up until it slides off. The static coefficient can be derived from the angle of the incline with some simple dynamics.

8. Jul 16, 2010 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No luck on this number so far. There's one other place I could check, but that'll have to wait till after the weekend.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook