Coefficient of friction for bronze on stainless steel?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 16K views
servaa
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I am looking for static and dynamic coefficients of friction for bronze on stainless steel (dry condition). Closest thing I could find was http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/frictioncoefficients.htm" where it only has steel on bronze under greasy condition.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Chris
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Friction coefficients are notorious for being all over the map, since they can be very strongly dependent on surface topography. I would recommend determining the coefficients experimentally, rather than using values from a table.
 
I am doing a quick calculation for preliminary design, and experimental method is not an option. I was hoping someone could provide a general value.
 
I don't know any online resources, but will try to remember to look in my materials handbooks when I get a chance.

Your table specs 0.35 for steel and phosphor bronze. You can use that as a nearby lower bound, as phosphor bronzes tend to have lower friction than regular 12% bronzes.
 
If you fix a flat piece to a sine plate and put another flat piece of the other material on top of that, you can slowly jack it up until it slides off. The static coefficient can be derived from the angle of the incline with some simple dynamics.
 
No luck on this number so far. There's one other place I could check, but that'll have to wait till after the weekend.