Coefficient of friction in regards to a clamp force

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of clamp force required to hold a specific weight, specifically in the case of an excavator mounted hammer holding a piling sheet weighing 800kg. The coefficient of friction between the clamp and sheet is also mentioned as a factor in the calculation, with the suggestion of using a safety margin. The use of specially made clamps for sheet goods is also brought up.
Nik_Barbour
Does coefficient of friction change in regard to clamp force applied to parts?

If you imagine a bench vice, clamping a plate with a weight attached.
Can the clamp force required be calculated to hold a specific weight?

I'm asking because I have an excavator mounted hammer EMV outside. It holds a piling sheet which weighs 800kg between the end of a hyd cylinder and an opposed static clamp face both of which are steel, and I wanted to calc the min force of the ram required to clamp and allow us to pick up the 800kg safely.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nik_Barbour said:
Does coefficient of friction change in regard to clamp force applied to parts?

If you imagine a bench vice, clamping a plate with a weight attached.
Can the clamp force required be calculated to hold a specific weight?

I'm asking because I have an excavator mounted hammer EMV outside. It holds a piling sheet which weighs 800kg between the end of a hyd cylinder and an opposed static clamp face both of which are steel, and I wanted to calc the min force of the ram required to clamp and allow us to pick up the 800kg safely.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Nick
You need to have some idea of the coefficient of friction between the clamp and the sheet. Based on the materials you should be able to look that up online, but it will also depend on the cleanliness of the surfaces.

I would suggest you need a good safety margin in the calculation.

Aren't there specially made clamps for sheet goods where a downward movement of the sheet results in an increase in clamping pressure?

Likes CWatters

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless value that represents the amount of resistance between two surfaces when they are in contact with each other. It is a measure of the ease with which one surface can slide over another.

How is the coefficient of friction measured?

The coefficient of friction is typically measured through experiments where one surface is pushed or pulled against another. The force required to move the surfaces is then divided by the weight of the object to determine the coefficient of friction.

What is the significance of the coefficient of friction in regards to a clamp force?

The coefficient of friction is an important factor to consider when determining the clamp force needed to hold two surfaces together. A higher coefficient of friction means that more force is required to move the object, so a higher clamp force may be needed to prevent slipping or sliding.

What factors can affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by various factors such as surface roughness, temperature, and lubrication. For example, a smoother surface will typically have a lower coefficient of friction, while a rougher surface will have a higher coefficient of friction.

How does the coefficient of friction impact everyday life?

The coefficient of friction plays a significant role in many everyday activities, such as walking, driving, and even cooking. It helps us determine the amount of force needed to move objects and can also influence the design and functionality of everyday objects, such as shoes and tires.