1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the coefficient of Friction with weight and force needed to move and object

1. Oct 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block weighing 9.3 N requires a force of
    3.7 N to push it along at constant velocity.
    What is the coefficient of friction for the
    surface

2. Relevant equations
    Ff=μ*Fn

3. The attempt at a solution
    So the 3.7 N to push is the Force of friction so 3.7=μ*9.3
    μ=3.7/9.3=.37755

Is this correct

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2011 #2
    well, i think you are close. The Normal Force is equal to the force going down, that is, mass times acceleration, because this is in one dimension. That means that you actually should do Normal Force = 9.3 * 9.8. Then you divide 3.7 by the answer, which should give you 0.406.

4. Oct 4, 2011 #3
    That is what i was thinking but since it said "weigh", i thought that that was already in newtons... in other words, it was force and it was the value for normal force. Am i missing something??

5. Oct 4, 2011 #4
    oh, that is a good point. Sorry, I didn't notice that; in that case, you are correct. And my bad, had it been the force, the answer is actually 0.0406, not 0.406. But all is well that ends well!

6. Oct 4, 2011 #5
    thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook