Metal Stretch Force Calculation (engineering)

In summary, the machine stretches the sheet metal, and the force required to do so is between the yield strength and ultimate tensile strength of the material.
johnco_herts
Hi all,

I have started working on a challenge at work.

We have installed a machine for 'stretch forming'. The machine clamps a long sheet of aluminium at both ends, while a convex shape steel die is raised in the centre. The die is raised by a hydraulic system, causing the metallic sheet to stretch over it, hence forming the shape of the die. I am trying to calculate the force required to stretch the sheet, without returning to its original shape(springback), and without necking(rupture). Please see the attached image for a visual representation of the tool.

Now for what I have been using for my method:

1) The sheet being stretch formed is Aluminium 2024 T3 temper.
The Ultimate Tensile Strength(UTS) of the material is 470Mpa
The Yield Strength (YS) is 325Mpa
The sheet is 98.4"(2.5m) wide and 0.120"(0.003048m) thick.
ie) Cross Secional Area is 11.808In² (0.00762m²)

2) Formula:
The UTS=Force(N)/Area(m²)
thus Force(N)=UTS*Area(m²)

3) The above equation would lead to the force required to rupture the material but I just want the force to stretch it, so I need to be between the YS and UTS

4) from points 3&4 I now have Force(N)=((UTS+YS)/2)*Area(m²)
This is the average of YSand UTS, multiplied by the area

5) this is fine for a scenario of tensile testing(see image 'i'), but my questions are:

Q1) Is this the same force for the case I present (image '1' & '2')?
Q2) The die is lubricated prior to forming, so do I need to consider frictional force?
Q3) As the sheet is fixed on both ends, does the force that I apply with the ram replicate a force acting tangential to the sheet edges?

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance,
John

Attachments

• Stretch Forming.jpg
    Stretch Forming.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 1,751
Science news on Phys.org
anybody able to help here?

1. What is Metal Stretch Force Calculation and why is it important in engineering?

Metal Stretch Force Calculation is a method used to determine the amount of force needed to stretch a metal material to a specific length. It is important in engineering because it helps engineers design and test the strength and durability of metal structures and components. This calculation is crucial in ensuring the safety and reliability of various structures, such as buildings, bridges, and vehicles.

2. How is Metal Stretch Force Calculation performed?

Metal Stretch Force Calculation involves using the material's properties, such as its modulus of elasticity and cross-sectional area, along with the desired length and the amount of stretch, to determine the required force. This calculation can be done manually using mathematical formulas or with the help of computer programs specifically designed for engineering calculations.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of Metal Stretch Force Calculation?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of Metal Stretch Force Calculation, including the material's temperature, surface conditions, and manufacturing processes. It is essential to take these factors into account to ensure more precise results. Additionally, using outdated or incorrect material properties can also affect the accuracy of the calculation.

4. How does Metal Stretch Force Calculation differ from other force calculation methods?

Metal Stretch Force Calculation differs from other force calculation methods, such as tension and compression calculations, because it specifically focuses on determining the amount of force needed to stretch a metal material to a specific length. This calculation takes into account the material's properties and the desired length, whereas other methods may focus on determining the maximum force a material can withstand before breaking.

5. Can Metal Stretch Force Calculation be applied to all types of metal materials?

Metal Stretch Force Calculation can be applied to most metal materials, including steel, aluminum, and copper. However, it may not be as accurate for materials with unique properties, such as composite materials, which may require specialized calculations. It is essential to use the correct material properties and consider any unique characteristics when performing Metal Stretch Force Calculation for accurate results.