Coefficient of friction of a spring

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
reaperkid
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 1676 g mass is on a horizontal surface with mu-k = 0.340, and is in contact with a massless spring with a force constant of 508 N/m which is compressed. When the spring is released, it does 9.17 J of work on the mass while returning to its equilibrium position. Calculate the distance the spring was compressed. Then find the velocity of the mass as it loses contact with the spring?

m = .1676 kg
muk = .34
k = 508 N/m
w = 9.17 J

Homework Equations



W = Fd
x = F/k
muk = Fk / Fn

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm not sure if I'm even on the right track or not.
But I tried using simultanious equations and I got
d = squareroot (9.17/508) = .13 m but that wasn't right.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi reaperkid! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a mu: µ :wink:)
reaperkid said:
… a massless spring with a force constant of 508 N/m which is compressed. When the spring is released, it does 9.17 J of work on the mass while returning to its equilibrium position. Calculate the distance the spring was compressed.
…

Homework Equations


W = Fd
x = F/k
muk = Fk / Fn

… I tried using simultanious equations and I got
d = squareroot (9.17/508) = .13 m but that wasn't right.

You haven't written the standard energy equation for a spring …

E = (1/2)kx2 :smile:
​

(Your W = Fd gave you the wrong result, because you didn't integrate :wink:)