Coefficient of kinetic friction on wooden plane question

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Daved
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


This is what I was given:
A block is placed on a rough wooden plane it is found that when the plane is tilted 30° to the horizontal, the block will slide down at a constant speed.

Homework Equations


I'm not sure which equations to use other than sinΘmg but I'm not getting the correct answer which is 0.577.

The Attempt at a Solution


I then tried tanΘ and got the correct answer but I'm not sure why it's correct.
Thank you for any help provided.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Drawing a FBD is a MUST. This must show all the forces acting on the block.
 
Try a sanity check: What happens as the plane's tilt approaches 90°? Once you do that, try calculating the friction force.