Coefficient of Kinetic Friction

In summary, the problem involves a 1,440-N crate being pushed at a constant speed by a 270 N force at an angle of 20.0° below the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the floor is found to be .165. The Ff and n values used in the solution are 254N and 1532N, respectively, but the reasoning behind their usage is unclear. This may require further clarification.
MG5
Heres the problem,

A 1,440-N crate is being pushed across a level floor at a constant speed by a force of 270 N at an angle of 20.0° below the horizontal

(a) What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the floor?

I know how to do this. The answer is .165

Heres how I solved it..

270sin20 = 92 N
270cos20 = 254 N

1440N + 92N = 1532N

Ff=uk(n)

254N=uk(1532)

uk= .165

The only thing I don't quite get is why do I use 254N, the product of 270cos20, as the Ff and why is 1532N the normal force?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only thing I don't quite get is why do I use 254N, the product of 270cos20, as the Ff and why is 1532N the normal force?
You have chose the values. Surely you have reasons for choosing them.
I think the questions should be are your reasonings correct?

azizlwl said:
You have chose the values. Surely you have reasons for choosing them.
I think the questions should be are your reasonings correct?

I knew someone was going to say this. The reason I don't know why I'm using those numbers that I solved for is because I saw the solution to the problem worked out. I understand everything but why those numbers are used for Ff and n. Other than that everything else seems easy and makes sense.

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces when one is in motion. It is represented by the symbol μk and is a dimensionless quantity.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction calculated?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force between the two surfaces in contact. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the force required to keep an object moving at a constant speed.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the surface area of the objects in contact, and the roughness of the surfaces. It is also influenced by the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

4. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction differ from the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is the measure of friction between two surfaces when one is in motion, while the coefficient of static friction is the measure of friction between two surfaces when one is at rest. Generally, the coefficient of static friction is higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction for the same surfaces.

5. Why is the coefficient of kinetic friction important?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is important because it affects the amount of force required to keep an object in motion. It is also a crucial factor in engineering and design, as it helps determine the optimal materials and surfaces to use in different applications to reduce friction and improve efficiency.