Coefficient of restitution in rotational motion

In summary, the ball slides along the rod after a collision. The angular velocity of the rod is found using the conservation of angular momentum.
iitjee10
Suppose A ball of mass m moving with a speed v collides with a rod of mass M and length L placed horizontally on a smooth floor. The coefficient of restitution is 0.5.

In this case how do we utilise the information of COR.

If it were given COR is 1 then we could conserve kinetic energy. But in this case how do we how about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
A coefficient of restituion of 0.5 is used to relate the final relative velocities to the initial relative velocities: V2f - V1f = e(V1i - V2i) where V= velocity, f = final, i = initial, and e = COR. Using the conservation of momentum with the preceding relation can determine the final velocities of the objects for head on collisions. A lot is unkown; the radius of the ball? the collision point on the bar? the initial angular orientation of the bar? is the ball rolling or sliding? the diameter of the bar? Since the floor is smooth it can be assumed it's frictionless and the ball would be sliding, not rolling (provided the initial release of the ball did not produce a rotation), and it can be treated as a head on collision.

assume the ball hits the rod at an end perpendicularly, the ball is sliding, smooth horizontal floor.
now, how do we use v2f - v1f = e(v1i - v2i) as there is an angular velocity of the rod after the collision.

Can anyone tell if I am correct or not. I am really not sure.
First by v2f - v1f = e(v1i - v2i) and conservation of momentum, v1f and v2f is known.
then by conservation of angular momentum (axis taken at the cg of the rod), the angular velocity of the rod is known. And that does it.

Lucien1011 is correct. The final linear velocities of the ball and center of mass of the rod are found using the COR equation and the conservation of linear momentum. Then using the conservation of angular momentum, the angular velocity of the rod can be found. The moment of inertia of the rod must be computed about an axis of rotation through the center of the rod because the rod will rotate about it's center of mass after the collision, and the center of mass will have a translational velocity. The initial anglular momentum is mvL/2 (ball) + 0 (rod). The final angular momentum must equal the initial momentum.

solve both linear momentum and angular momentum and please show, i think the answers come out to be different

The linear momentum is different from the angular momentum. Again, solve for the final velocities of the ball and the center of mass of the rod using the COR equation and the conservation of linear momentum (initial momentum equals final momentum). Then use the conservation of angular momentum. Below is a web page that shows the method. Refer to Example 2 at the bottom of the web page.

http://dept.physics.upenn.edu/courses/gladney/mathphys/java/sect4/subsection4_1_6.html

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the coefficient of restitution in rotational motion?

The coefficient of restitution in rotational motion is a measure of the elasticity of an object during rotational collisions. It represents the ratio of the final angular velocity to the initial angular velocity after a collision.

How is the coefficient of restitution in rotational motion calculated?

The coefficient of restitution in rotational motion is calculated by dividing the final angular velocity by the initial angular velocity. It is represented by the symbol e and can have a value between 0 and 1, with 1 representing a perfectly elastic collision and 0 representing a completely inelastic collision.

What factors can affect the coefficient of restitution in rotational motion?

The coefficient of restitution in rotational motion can be affected by several factors, including the material properties of the objects involved, the angle and speed of the collision, and the surface roughness of the objects. It can also be affected by external factors such as air resistance and friction.

What is the significance of the coefficient of restitution in rotational motion?

The coefficient of restitution in rotational motion is important in understanding the conservation of energy and momentum during collisions. It can also be used to predict the outcome of a collision and can help in designing objects that can withstand rotational impacts without breaking or deforming.

How does the coefficient of restitution in rotational motion differ from that in linear motion?

The coefficient of restitution in rotational motion is similar to that in linear motion, but it takes into account the rotational energy and momentum of the objects involved. It is also affected by different factors, such as the moment of inertia and the point of impact, compared to the coefficient of restitution in linear motion.