Coefficient of sliding friction and distance travelled

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Bugsy23
Messages
24
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A flat round disc of mass 0.6kg is pushed across an icy surface. It has an initial velocity of 3.5ms^-1 and the coefficient of sliding friction is 0.02. Calculate the distance traveled before the disc eventually comes to a rest.

Homework Equations



The only one I can think of is distance=speed*time, but I haven't been given any values for time so I can't use that one

The Attempt at a Solution



The acceleration must be negative if the disc is slowing down. I would guess that the acceleration would just be velocity-coefficient of sliding friction, so subtracting 0.02 from the velocity each second until it reaches zero and from there working out the distance travelled. Would that make sense or is there another way to do it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Determine what force is causing the deceleration. Once you know that, you can find a, then use the kinematics equations to find d.

d=rt is only true with no acceleration.