1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficient of static friction of crate

1. Nov 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 200N crate rests on a ramp, the angle is 20 degrees with the horizontal. What is the coefficient of static friction between the crate and ramp surfaces

2. Relevant equations
    T=N/cos theta

3. The attempt at a solution
    200/cos25 = 219

I don't know where to go from here. The answer is .47 Please show me a direction to take.!!!

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2008 #2
    What forces are acting upon the object? (Hint: There are three forces and one of these forces has components if you choose an efficient coordinate system.)

4. Nov 15, 2008 #3
    Would the three forces be gravity, the weight of the crate on the ramp, and the ramp pushing up on the crate? If so, the only one I have numbers for is gravity??

5. Nov 15, 2008 #4
    Weight and gravity are related by [tex]\vec{w}=m\vec{g}[/tex]. The other two forces are going to be the frictional force (a function of the normal force) and the normal force, itself, a function of weight. So, where are your x- and y-axes going to lie?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?