1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Angle When the Crate Begins to Slip

1. May 25, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A crate is placed on an adjustable, inclined board. The coefficient of static friction between the crate and the board is 0.29. A) Calculate the angle at which the crate just begins to slip.

2. Relevant equations
    Sum of Forces=M*A

3. The attempt at a solution
    In my problem: Why is g cancelled? and why is 0.29 added to tan^-1
    These are highlighted areas

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your picture is so tiny it is not readable

4. May 25, 2017 #3
    Hmm weird.. I can see it clearly even from my phone. Its my first post maybe I messed something up.

5. May 25, 2017 #4
    Weird.. I can see it from my phone clearly. Maybe I did something wrong

6. May 25, 2017 #5

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

so it looks like you have in the one section: = 0 < g*(sinθ - μ*cosθ). Just multiply both sides by 1/g and you have 0/g < (g/g)*(sinθ - μ*cosθ). 0/g is 0, and g/g is 1.
    For the last part, they get it down to μ < tanθ, then plug in μ=0.29 which is given in the problem statement. Take inverse tangent of both sides to find θ.

7. May 25, 2017 #6
    When I was young, I had excellent near vision. Now . . . not so much. However, even when I downloaded the photo and zoomed in, I can still see well enough to realize there is a shortage of pixels; it is still very difficult to read. "And things that are too hard just aren't worth doing," said someone.

Welcome to Physics Forums.

8. May 25, 2017 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Strange.. if I click on the link it takes me to https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/img_20170525_213308-jpg.204257/, an image that is quite readable even with my so-so vision. (But it is so misaligned to the frame that the top right corner is missing.)
    Anyway, scottdave has posted the answers to the OP questions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted