Finding the Angle When the Crate Begins to Slip

• Thread starter Graydon Hope
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle Slip
In summary,The coefficient of static friction between the crate and the board is 0.29.When I was young, I had excellent near vision. Now . . . not so much.However, even when I downloaded the photo and zoomed in, I can still see well enough to realize there is a shortage of pixels; it is still very difficult to read.
Graydon Hope

Homework Statement

A crate is placed on an adjustable, inclined board. The coefficient of static friction between the crate and the board is 0.29. A) Calculate the angle at which the crate just begins to slip.

Homework Equations

Sum of Forces=M*A

The Attempt at a Solution

In my problem: Why is g cancelled? and why is 0.29 added to tan^-1
These are highlighted areas

Attachments

• IMG_20170525_213308.jpg
    IMG_20170525_213308.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 662
Physics news on Phys.org
Your picture is so tiny it is not readable

Hmm weird.. I can see it clearly even from my phone. Its my first post maybe I messed something up.

phinds said:
Your picture is so tiny it is not readable
Weird.. I can see it from my phone clearly. Maybe I did something wrong

so it looks like you have in the one section: = 0 < g*(sinθ - μ*cosθ). Just multiply both sides by 1/g and you have 0/g < (g/g)*(sinθ - μ*cosθ). 0/g is 0, and g/g is 1.
For the last part, they get it down to μ < tanθ, then plug in μ=0.29 which is given in the problem statement. Take inverse tangent of both sides to find θ.

When I was young, I had excellent near vision. Now . . . not so much. However, even when I downloaded the photo and zoomed in, I can still see well enough to realize there is a shortage of pixels; it is still very difficult to read. "And things that are too hard just aren't worth doing," said someone.

Welcome to Physics Forums.

Likes scottdave
TomHart said:
even when I downloaded the photo and zoomed in, I can still see well enough to realize there is a shortage of pixels; it is still very difficult to read.
Strange.. if I click on the link it takes me to https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/img_20170525_213308-jpg.204257/, an image that is quite readable even with my so-so vision. (But it is so misaligned to the frame that the top right corner is missing.)
Anyway, scottdave has posted the answers to the OP questions.

What is the significance of finding the angle when the crate begins to slip?

Finding the angle at which a crate begins to slip is important in determining the maximum slope or incline at which the crate can be safely placed without slipping. This information is crucial for ensuring the stability and safety of any objects or structures placed on an incline.

How do you find the angle when the crate begins to slip?

To find the angle at which a crate begins to slip, you can use the coefficient of friction between the crate and the surface it is resting on. This coefficient can be determined through experiments or research. Then, using the formula tanθ = μ, where θ is the angle and μ is the coefficient of friction, you can calculate the angle at which the crate will begin to slip.

What factors can affect the angle when the crate begins to slip?

The angle at which a crate begins to slip is affected by various factors such as the weight and shape of the crate, the type of surface it is resting on, and the coefficient of friction. Other factors like the presence of any external forces, such as wind or vibrations, can also impact the angle at which the crate will begin to slip.

Why is it important to consider the coefficient of friction when finding the angle when the crate begins to slip?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is crucial to consider this factor when finding the angle at which a crate begins to slip because it directly affects the frictional force between the crate and the surface. A higher coefficient of friction means a greater resistance to slipping, and a lower coefficient means a lower resistance.

How can knowing the angle when the crate begins to slip be useful in real-world applications?

Knowing the angle at which a crate begins to slip is useful in various real-world applications, such as designing ramps or inclines for vehicles, determining the maximum slope for construction projects, and ensuring the stability of objects placed on an incline. This information can also help prevent accidents and ensure the safety of workers and structures.