Collection of Science Jokes P2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes Science
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4,104 replies · 526K views
Frank wasn't a monster. Frank made a monster.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: YoungPhysicist and DrClaude
Physics news on Phys.org
hBE9AACB1.jpg
 
Attachments
  • hBE9AACB1.jpg
    hBE9AACB1.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 679
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn and AlexCaledin
Graffiti in a men's bathroom in Leipzig's university:

Heisenberg might have been here
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn, AlexCaledin and DennisN
I swear this is a real quote from a math source. As a physicist, it made me laugh (might not be funny to mathematicians!)


Cayley's theorem, which says that any group is isomorphic to a certain subgroup of that group's group of isomorphisms.
 
nrqed said:
Cayley's theorem, which says that any group is isomorphic to a certain subgroup of that group's group of isomorphisms.
Do you have a quote? I know Cayley as ##G \leq \operatorname{Sym}_{|G|}## in the finite case.
 
nrqed said:
Thanks, and yes, that's the proof, but I don't see that ##f_a## are isomorphisms, only bijections! E.g. ##f_a(1)=a \stackrel{i.g.}{\neq}1##. That was my problem: permutations are no homomorphisms. We have ##G \longrightarrow \operatorname{Sym}(G)## not ##\operatorname{Aut}(G)##. If we restricted ourselves to conjugations, we would get all central elements in the kernel, so that doesn't work. Where are the automorphisms?

All we have are automorphisms in the category ##\mathcal{Set}## but this is a very misleading wording in this context, and to say "its isomorphisms" is wrong - at least as far as I know.
 
Last edited:
44052897_1908269762555226_7629610935753113600_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent.fymq2-1.jpg
 
Attachments
  • 44052897_1908269762555226_7629610935753113600_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent.fymq2-1.jpg
    44052897_1908269762555226_7629610935753113600_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent.fymq2-1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 573
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Demystifier, DrClaude, davenn and 3 others
aBKwpRQ_700b_v2.jpg
 
Attachments
  • aBKwpRQ_700b_v2.jpg
    aBKwpRQ_700b_v2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,012
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: AlexCaledin, Demystifier, Wrichik Basu and 3 others
fresh_42 said:
Don't forget the paper! We were supposed to save paper!
Actually, I think that we have reached a point of diminishing paper. I basically no longer get any paper invoices and I read the newspapers online. Looking at the students, more and more are buying the textbooks as e-books and many assignments go directly from their computer to mine with no wood-derived product in-between.
 
Except in between their ears...?
No, I'm sure your students are better than that!
 
DrClaude said:
Actually, I think that we have reached a point of diminishing paper.
All diagrams I can find on the internet are ##O(t)## since 1950. I haven't found a worldwide chart and the ones I've found ended in 2005 or so, which is why I don't post them. Yes, some paper traffic has gone electric, but the vast majority of papers are the n-th copy of a meeting protocol, the 10th-copy of a joke going around in emails, or the private copies of anything. Paper is still cheap and everybody is a Gutenberg. A few online invoices don't change the trend.
 
fresh_42 said:
I haven't found a worldwide chart and the ones I've found ended in 2005
https://www.statista.com/statistics/270317/production-volume-of-paper-by-type/
Definition:
Graphic papers products are all around you and can be found in almost any home, office or business. These include a very wide variety of paper products for uses such as newspapers, inserts, supplements, A4 copy paper and printer paper, book paper, envelopes, forms, writing pads, high-quality magazines and brochures, company magazines, catalogues and annual reports.
 
3eXgkj4P3dajeT9wKW2Q2QjSSoZvENtv8ErfXaiN-nE.jpg
 
Attachments
  • 3eXgkj4P3dajeT9wKW2Q2QjSSoZvENtv8ErfXaiN-nE.jpg
    3eXgkj4P3dajeT9wKW2Q2QjSSoZvENtv8ErfXaiN-nE.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 845
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Imager, Demystifier, BillTre and 10 others
DennisN said:
@Greg Bernhardt , when will PF/Latex support hieroglyphs?
Haven't you noticed? It already does:
DarMM said:
$$H(g,\kappa) = H_{\phi,\kappa} + H_{\psi,\kappa} + g\colon\bar{\psi}\phi\psi\colon - \delta m^2(g,\kappa) - E(g,\kappa)$$
I think it says: 'Ptolemy was here', but Ptah only knows.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DrClaude, 256bits, davenn and 2 others
DennisN said:
@Greg Bernhardt , when will PF/Latex support hieroglyphs?
upload_2018-11-7_21-18-42.png
 
Attachments
  • upload_2018-11-7_21-18-8.png
    upload_2018-11-7_21-18-8.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 382
  • upload_2018-11-7_21-18-42.png
    upload_2018-11-7_21-18-42.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 645
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 256bits, BillTre and DennisN
Attachments
  • mayan_calendar2.jpg
    mayan_calendar2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 683
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Demystifier, 256bits, Ibix and 4 others
That's funny.
He better be back before his supper gets cold, or if he's lucky maybe she will keep it warm in the oven.:wink:
 
Bandersnatch said:
Haven't you noticed? It already does:

I think it says: 'Ptolemy was here', but Ptah only knows.
It's the Hamiltonian for the Yukawa theory, fairly standard QFT, you'd see it in intro books.
 
Bandersnatch said:
Oh, humour. That elusive beast.
I know it's a joke Mr. Silly, just thought I'd explain what it actually was. :smile:
 
Keith_McClary said:
I’m Going on a Random Walk
In case this is not in your Physics curriculum:
Once again, however, our focus is on simple diffusion or the nearest-neighbor random walk. For these processes, the possibility of a diffusing particle making arbitrarily large excursions before certain trapping takes place leads to an infinite mean lifetime. On the other hand, the recurrence of diffusion in one dimension means that the particle must eventually return to its starting point. This dichotomy between infinite lifetime and certain trapping leads to a variety of extremely surprising first-passage-related properties both for the semi-infinite interval and the infinite system.
Section 3.1 (and the referenced Chapters 1-2).