Reflecting on 47: An SMBC Comic

• Thread starter sbrothy
  • Start date
In summary, the comic is about how getting old can be a drag and how some people don't enjoy it. It also has a message about cholesterol and how to reduce it.
sbrothy
I recently "celebrated" my 47th birthday and this comic resonates weirdly with how I feel:SMBC: Getting Old.

Regards.

[EDIT: Maybe this should be moved to the"Collection of lame jokes thread....]

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes OmCheeto, BillTre and hutchphd
Physics news on Phys.org
You ain't seen nothin yet........

• Haha
Likes George Jones, Borek, BillTre and 3 others
sbrothy said:
I recently "celebrated" my 47th birthday and this comic resonates weirdly with how I feel:
47 is getting middle aged.

Likes symbolipoint and BillTre
PeroK said:
47 is getting middle aged.
I'll admit as much. Taking my lifestyle into consideration though, I'm not at all sure I'll get to reap the many benefits of the gerontological experience. Is it any fun? (<-- rhetoric sarcasm).

Last edited:
sbrothy said:
I'll admit as much. Taking my lifestyle into consideration though, I'm not at all sure I'll get to reap the many benefits of the gerontological experience. Is it any fun? (<-- rhetoric sarcasm).
You should make your own fun.

Likes Wrichik Basu and gmax137
BillTre said:
You should make your own fun.
It came out kinda harsh. Im not really in such a foul mood. :)

Live a heavy life, lave a fat corpse. :)

sbrothy said:
It came out kinda harsh. Im not really in such a foul mood. :)

Live a heavy life, lave a fat corpse. :)
Dr told me I need to reduce cholesterol, that made me feel old.
Best part was she gave me a leaflet on things to focus on to help lower it.
Thanked her and I stuck it straight in my rucksack without looking at it.
Got it out at home and on the front was a big cartoon drawing of a cheeseburger.
Caption, "Cholesterol and how to reduce it."
Or something like that.
Way to go NHS, good tips to reduce cholesterol whilst giving me a delicious cheeseburger brainworm.
EDIT: I had to check. BHF not NHS.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bri...&biw=534&bih=758&dpr=1.5#imgrc=6Z9cEakeLt0zTM

• Haha
Likes BillTre, hutchphd, DrClaude and 2 others
Thank you for not appending the cheeseburger picture......

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto, BillTre and pinball1970
hutchphd said:
Thank you for not appending the cheeseburger picture......
I tried but it just posted the link instead!

Not well thought out by the British Heart Foundation!

• Haha
Likes BillTre and hutchphd
pinball1970 said:
Dr told me I need to reduce cholesterol, that made me feel old.
Best part was she gave me a leaflet on things to focus on to help lower it.
Thanked her and I stuck it straight in my rucksack without looking at it.
Got it out at home and on the front was a big cartoon drawing of a cheeseburger.
Caption, "Cholesterol and how to reduce it."
Or something like that.
Way to go NHS, good tips to reduce cholesterol whilst giving me a delicious cheeseburger brainworm.
EDIT: I had to check. BHF not NHS.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bri...&biw=534&bih=758&dpr=1.5#imgrc=6Z9cEakeLt0zTM

On the other hand had they taken the cigarette pack approach noone would've dared open it. But perhaps then the picture would have been enough...?

sbrothy said:
On the other hand had they taken the cigarette pack approach noone would've dared open it. But perhaps then the picture would have been enough...?
I am not into marketing but I would not have used a double cheeseburger with mayo, lettuce and ketchup as motivation to avoid certain foods. Like a bacon double cheeseburger.
There are words in the cartoon that are in the actual burger representation.
I see those words as bacon or something similarly beautiful.

• Haha
Likes sbrothy and hutchphd
Is this thread really about "Mid-life Crisis"?

gleem said:
Is this thread really about "Mid-life Crisis"?
Guilty as charged. Pathtetic really. At last I'm not buying a muscle car (basically cause I'm broke). :)

Likes pinball1970
Nah it's really about getting a few cheap laughs from a very serious subject we're all facing, Or ( considering the forum's members) probably already fazed [sic] Sorry ppl. :P

Thanks a lot. I had to look. Now I, too, have a cheesburger "Jones"

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
you are a lucky and wise man, in that you have begun to realize that some changes are in order to continue to live a relatively healthy life. the late forties are when i notice many people make some mistakes, namely not accepting that they are aging. I recall injuring myself about that age from trying to continue strenuous exercises that were more appropriate for people in their 20's. it is amazing how long you can remain fit by being prudent and yet appropriately active, if you are also somewhat lucky. with regard to diet, good healthy well made and well sourced food, is actually much more delicious than greasy kid stuff, although that may take a little adjustment period to realize. It also helps to be in close proximity with a good cook, or else you may want to become one. you might want to celebrate with a cooking class, or start a garden. fresh food is really good. at your young age, there is still time to do a lot, for which you are the envy of many of us. happy birthday!

Likes Klystron and sbrothy
mathwonk said:
you are a lucky and wise man, in that you have begun to realize that some changes are in order to continue to live a relatively healthy life. the late forties are when i notice many people make some mistakes, namely not accepting that they are aging. I recall injuring myself about that age from trying to continue strenuous exercises that were more appropriate for people in their 20's. it is amazing how long you can remain fit by being prudent and yet appropriately active, if you are also somewhat lucky. with regard to diet, good healthy well made and well sourced food, is actually much more delicious than greasy kid stuff, although that may take a little adjustment period to realize. It also helps to be in close proximity with a good cook, or else you may want to become one. you might want to celebrate with a cooking class, or start a garden. fresh food is really good. at your young age, there is still time to do a lot, for which you are the envy of many of us. happy birthday!
Thank you, and kudos for bringing my sarcasm back to groundlevel where it belongs.

[EDIT: Unless of course you're being sarcastic yourself. But let's not add paranoia to a somewhat innocent "crisis". :P

mathwonk said:
I broke my first bone ever playing ping pong in the style of pros (without commensurate skill) on a slippery floor. First time I realized I could not pretend to be 25 when over 70.

I knew I was old when I threw my back out (very uncommon for me) reaching for the TV remote control.
I agree about the exercise though. I recommend the bicycle (but don't fall off)

hutchphd said:
I recommend the bicycle (but don't fall off)
Easier said than done, I'm afraid. :wink:

Likes Klystron
I am very circumspect but did do an ass-over-handlebar about a decade ago. Happilly I did a right-cheek landing so I bounced pretty good (it is one of my crumple zones). Helmut was good also. No particular damage!

sbrothy said:
I recently "celebrated" my 47th birthday
Geez, I wish I could remember as far back as my 47th birthday...
hutchphd said:
Helmut was good also.
I hope Helmut wasn't injured too badly. Was he wearing a helmet? :oldbiggrin:

• Haha
Likes hutchphd
mathwonk said:
start a garden
I want to, but I haven't found anyone selling bacon seeds yet :H .

Actually, I do grow hot peppers every year, mmm.

Likes pinball1970
hutchphd said:
I am very circumspect but did do an ass-over-handlebar about a decade ago. Happilly I did a right-cheek landing so I bounced pretty good (it is one of my crumple zones). Helmut was good also. No particular damage!
All my friends have fell off bikes, they tell me to get cycling then list their accidents.
One friend went over in the snow landed on his hip and fractured his femur!
I'll stick to power walking.

pinball1970 said:
I'll stick to power walking.
Not as exciting!

Likes pinball1970
sbrothy said:
I recently "celebrated" my 47th birthday and this comic resonates weirdly with how I feel:
The man in the cartoon is much older than 47 :smile:. Given that the boy is a teenager, the man has to be at least something like 14 + 25 + 25.

I had my first (and only) kid when I was 46. At 47, I could still; skate like the wind; more than hold my own when playing ball hockey in the street with neighbourhood teenagers. Not so much at 62.

hutchphd said:
You ain't seen nothin yet........
A song from nearly 50 years ago!

Likes pinball1970 and hutchphd
George Jones said:
The man in the cartoon is much older than 47 :smile:. Given that the boy is a teenager, the man has to be at least something like 14 + 25 + 25.

I had my first (and only) kid when I was 46. At 47, I could still; skate like the wind; more than hold my own when playing ball hockey in the street with neighbourhood teenagers. Not so much at 62.A song from nearly 50 years ago!

To be honest I never said I *was* that old, only that I *felt* that old.

@sbrothy Here is something to contemplate and maybe look forward to even if you are just starting down the "the gray turnpike of middle age" as the following article references. The article discusses why some people feel younger in their heads than their chronological age.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/t...d=hpmsn&cvid=b1e5e1a69ef94d79a6544504b14c2c15

I can imagine that many if not most elders in this form feel younger in their heads for the reason that I do and that is their deep involvement in activities that focused their attention for so much that time flew past unnoticed and remain as focused as they were decades ago.

Likes sbrothy
gleem said:
@sbrothy Here is something to contemplate and maybe look forward to even if you are just starting down the "the gray turnpike of middle age" as the following article references. The article discusses why some people feel younger in their heads than their chronological age.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/t...d=hpmsn&cvid=b1e5e1a69ef94d79a6544504b14c2c15

I can imagine that many if not most elders in this form feel younger in their heads for the reason that I do and that is their deep involvement in activities that focused their attention for so much that time flew past unnoticed and remain as focused as they were decades ago.

I haven't even read the article yet but you're hitting awfully close to home. :/

Its like stress and feelings of old age come from the things we wished for but didn't have - or made - time for.

sbrothy said:
I haven't even read the article yet but you're hitting awfully close to home. :/

Its like stress and feelings of old age come from the things we wished for but didn't have - or made - time for.

Now just to be clear I started this "midlife crisis" thread with a twinkle in my eye bordering on annoyed sarcasm. I really never expected (or indeed wanted) to be taken too seriously.

But perhaps it's healthy for me to face some unwelcome facts....

Now or later...but it is the best of all possible worlds. Voltaire told me so. How wonderful is that?

Likes sbrothy
Or was it Pangloss?

Likes sbrothy
gleem said:
Or was it Pangloss?

hutcphd meeting either seems equally (un)likely. :)

pinball1970 said:
I am not into marketing but I would not have used a double cheeseburger with mayo, lettuce and ketchup as motivation to avoid certain foods. Like a bacon double cheeseburger.
There are words in the cartoon that are in the actual burger representation.
I see those words as bacon or something similarly beautiful.

Is that what they call "an aquired taste"?
With the cigs certainly anyway.

Easier if you see it. @sbrothy

1677238285125.png

Last edited:
<h2>1. What is "Reflecting on 47: An SMBC Comic" about?</h2><p>"Reflecting on 47: An SMBC Comic" is a comic strip created by the popular webcomic artist Zach Weinersmith. It explores the concept of self-reflection and the human tendency to constantly analyze and question our own actions and decisions.</p><h2>2. What inspired the creation of "Reflecting on 47: An SMBC Comic"?</h2><p>The comic was inspired by the artist's own experiences with self-reflection and the realization that many people go through similar thought processes. He wanted to create a humorous and relatable comic that would make readers reflect on their own thought patterns.</p><h2>3. How does "Reflecting on 47: An SMBC Comic" relate to science?</h2><p>The comic touches on the psychological concept of introspection, which is the examination of one's own thoughts and feelings. This is a common topic in the field of psychology and has been studied extensively by scientists. The comic also incorporates scientific concepts, such as quantum mechanics, in a humorous way.</p><h2>4. What message does "Reflecting on 47: An SMBC Comic" convey?</h2><p>The comic highlights the absurdity of our constant self-reflection and encourages readers to embrace their imperfections and not take themselves too seriously. It also reminds us that we are not alone in our thoughts and that many others share similar experiences.</p><h2>5. Is "Reflecting on 47: An SMBC Comic" suitable for all ages?</h2><p>While the comic does not contain any explicit content, some of the jokes and references may be more suitable for older readers. However, the overall message and themes of the comic can be appreciated by all ages.</p>

1. What is "Reflecting on 47: An SMBC Comic" about?

"Reflecting on 47: An SMBC Comic" is a comic strip created by the popular webcomic artist Zach Weinersmith. It explores the concept of self-reflection and the human tendency to constantly analyze and question our own actions and decisions.

2. What inspired the creation of "Reflecting on 47: An SMBC Comic"?

The comic was inspired by the artist's own experiences with self-reflection and the realization that many people go through similar thought processes. He wanted to create a humorous and relatable comic that would make readers reflect on their own thought patterns.

3. How does "Reflecting on 47: An SMBC Comic" relate to science?

The comic touches on the psychological concept of introspection, which is the examination of one's own thoughts and feelings. This is a common topic in the field of psychology and has been studied extensively by scientists. The comic also incorporates scientific concepts, such as quantum mechanics, in a humorous way.

4. What message does "Reflecting on 47: An SMBC Comic" convey?

The comic highlights the absurdity of our constant self-reflection and encourages readers to embrace their imperfections and not take themselves too seriously. It also reminds us that we are not alone in our thoughts and that many others share similar experiences.

5. Is "Reflecting on 47: An SMBC Comic" suitable for all ages?

While the comic does not contain any explicit content, some of the jokes and references may be more suitable for older readers. However, the overall message and themes of the comic can be appreciated by all ages.