Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4,104 replies · 526K views
Physics news on Phys.org
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,876
- 6,212
Ooh. I just did that! It was Webb and I could not get on NASA. The video maker is knowledgeable.BillTre said:
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,693
- 9,084
Warning: do not look directly into lens while toy is on. May cause eye damage, injury or death.davenn said:
Mentor
- 8,478
- 5,700
La-Ra-YAG ?davenn said:
DennisN
Gold Member
- 2,197
- 10,328
Time for some stellar astronomy jokes:
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,876
- 6,212
and sometimes because its fun to be a little mean spirited ...
Last edited:
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,876
- 6,212
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,876
- 6,212
Science Advisor
- 14,917
- 7,625
Why orthodox quantum mechanists believe in flat Earth
When we measure any small patch of Earth, experiments show that each patch is flat (up to local mountains and valleys, which are not important here). Therefore experiments are consistent with flat Earth. Sure, if we try to collect all patches into a single object we get a round Earth, but this is wrong because different patches are complementary. There is no single measurement of all patches at once, so object consisting of all patches at once is a counter-factual. Those who claim that Earth is round assume counterfactual definiteness (CFD), or realism (belief that there is measurement-independent reality). But CFD/realism is wrong, which saves flatness of Earth.
When we measure any small patch of Earth, experiments show that each patch is flat (up to local mountains and valleys, which are not important here). Therefore experiments are consistent with flat Earth. Sure, if we try to collect all patches into a single object we get a round Earth, but this is wrong because different patches are complementary. There is no single measurement of all patches at once, so object consisting of all patches at once is a counter-factual. Those who claim that Earth is round assume counterfactual definiteness (CFD), or realism (belief that there is measurement-independent reality). But CFD/realism is wrong, which saves flatness of Earth.
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,876
- 6,212
There are a couple of things I need clarification on.Demystifier said:Why orthodox quantum mechanists believe in flat Earth
When we measure any small patch of Earth, experiments show that each patch is flat (up to local mountains and valleys, which are not important here). Therefore experiments are consistent with flat Earth. Sure, if we try to collect all patches into a single object we get a round Earth, but this is wrong because different patches are complementary. There is no single measurement of all patches at once, so object consisting of all patches at once is a counter-factual. Those who claim that Earth is round assume counterfactual definiteness (CFD), or realism (belief that there is measurement-independent reality). But CFD/realism is wrong, which saves flatness of Earth.
When you say 'complimentary' do you mean in a QM way or normal way?
Also why does measuring at the same time make a difference?
Say I make a measurement on a length of rod but my ruler is only part the length of the rod would it matter if I collated my measurements?
What if I was a little slow and measured part way and made a mark then went home and told my wife about my dilemma?
She is smarter than me explained the solution so I went back the next day and completed the measurement.
Two measurements separated in time but successfully completed.
Throw in an orientation in space for good measure, would this not be valid?
I know this is the joke section but I think we can agree you started it.
- 20,819
- 28,467
The more I read about Bell's theorem on PF, the more am I convinced that AC/DC (sic!) meant something completely different with their song Hell's Bells than I previously thought!
Science Advisor
- 14,917
- 7,625
QM way is the normal way.pinball1970 said:When you say 'complimentary' do you mean in a QM way or normal way?
Otherwise it doesn't matter, but it matters if the obvious fact that Earth is flat depends on it.pinball1970 said:Also why does measuring at the same time make a difference?
Say I make a measurement on a length of rod but my ruler is only part the length of the rod would it matter if I collated my measurements?
Bell was smart too (I'm not sure about his wife), and yet he concluded that QM is non-local. Being smart is not always an advantage.pinball1970 said:What if I was a little slow and measured part way and made a mark then went home and told my wife about my dilemma?
She is smarter than me explained the solution so I went back the next day and completed the measurement.
Two measurements separated in time but successfully completed.
Throw in an orientation in space for good measure, would this not be valid?
And now I continue it.pinball1970 said:I know this is the joke section but I think we can agree you started it.

DennisN
Gold Member
- 2,197
- 10,328
Speaking of QM... USB connectors can also be in superposition:Demystifier said:QM way is the normal way.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Did Schrödinger ever think about the consequences?
Science Advisor
- 4,509
- 2,539
Did you take the non-locality into account? When you measure length here, it instantaneously affects the measurements in Australia. And when you compare results you see that your measurements are incompatible with a flat Earth. It has to have a Bell shape.Demystifier said:Bell was smart too (I'm not sure about his wife), and yet he concluded that QM is non-local.
Science Advisor
- 14,917
- 7,625
Did you mean Ball shape?martinbn said:It has to have a Bell shape.
- 13,923
- 16,801
He says he invented the sphere. Ironically, his claims turned out to be hollow.martinbn said:Who is Ball?
Science Advisor
- 14,917
- 7,625
Mother Earth.martinbn said:Who is Ball?
Mentor
- 37,542
- 14,422
Similar threads
- DennisN
- · Replies 17 ·
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Media
- Replies
- 17
- pivoxa15
- · Replies 36 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 36