Collection of Science Jokes P2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes Science
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4,104 replies · 527K views
600186525_2941618912893992_6853333511733764650_n.webp
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: AlexB23, DEvens, gmax137 and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you tell the difference between a stoat and a weasel?
1. You can weaselly tell the difference, because the stoat is stoatally different.
2. By taste once cooked.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix and BillTre
1000011414.webp


So... the last time we saw human-driven climate change slowing the Earth's rotation at this rate was 3.6 million years ago? 🤔
 
Screenshot 2026-05-01 at 10.13.55 AM.webp


How can I be a Yussie without a car microscope?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and edwardII
This is a "today I learned" moment, which inspired me to get this AI cartoon made. The thing I learned today is that there is a reported case of otoacoustic emissions from a poodle that the vet staff could hear directly and unaided.






1778718431475.webp

Keep it down, Gigi! I'm trying to study here.


.
 
Attachments
  • 1778718163370.webp
    1778718163370.webp
    100.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Swamp Thing said:
This is a "today I learned" moment, which inspired me to get this AI cartoon made. The thing I learned today is that there is a reported case of otoacoustic emissions from a poodle that the vet staff could hear directly.






View attachment 371580

Keep it down, Gigi! I'm trying to study here.
The same thing can happen in people.
Normally hair cells in the inner ear sense sound by vibrating at resonate frequencies and converting those vibrations into neural signals.
However, ancestral (pre-vertebrate) hair cells moved for locomotary or filter feeding purposes of to sweep materials off a surface. This can made sound that can be heard.
 
Geologist movie deaths, a compilation

An article in AAAS Science magazine (summarizing a Geology Today article) show that about a third of geologists in movies died in some way.
According to a new study of movie geologists, he was lucky. Out of 202 movie geologists found in 141 movies released between 1919 and 2023
To qualify for the catalog, a movie had to feature someone explicitly identified as a geologist on screen. Most appeared in adventure, action, drama, or science fiction movies. The earliest films they found featuring geologists were often Westerns, where many characters were prospecting for oil. More recent films focus on natural disasters, monsters, and extraterrestrial threats.

Screenshot 2026-05-16 at 9.38.22 AM.webp


More studies are needed on this kind of thing in other fields (like biology)!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bandersnatch and collinsmark
Here is something I found in a Microscopy Today many years ago.
It is funny:

micro-joke.webp
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jack action, gmax137, Swamp Thing and 1 other person
BillTre said:
 snip
Tagline: Study shows geologists rarely affected by suicide, old age.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DaveC426913 and Borg
I found this 1998 publication: Stop Production at Hadron Colliders
The authors are all particle physicists. Why would they ask for that?
top quarks are the heaviest known quark type. If supersymmetry exists, their supersymmetric partner would be "s-top" or stop squarks. The paper calculates the production rate of stop particles at hadron colliders.
There are many other ways to write this title, I assume it was at least partially intentional.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Ibix, collinsmark and berkeman