Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Collision integral approximation in boltzmann equation

1. Dec 11, 2017 #1

Hi, as you can see at the end of the picture/attached file collision integral is approximated to a discrete sum. Could you express how this approximation is derived????

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2017 #2

Staff: Mentor

@mertcan what reference (book/article/web page/whatever) is this taken from?
  4. Dec 11, 2017 #3
  5. Dec 11, 2017 #4
    It is not really an approximation of the integral from a purely mathematical point-of-view I think, it rather seems a mather of intuitive common sense.

It is reasonable to suppose that the velocity change of component alpha depends linearly on the differences with the velocities of the other components beta. I don't think there is much more in it than that.
  6. Dec 12, 2017 #5
    thanks for response @thephystudent ,@PeterDonis you have not given any answers, what is your response about my question???
  7. Dec 12, 2017 #6

Staff: Mentor

I don't have one, at least not at the moment. I asked you for a reference because that's part of moderating the forum, and to hopefully help other possible responders.
  8. Dec 12, 2017 #7
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  9. Dec 13, 2017 #8
    Seems related indeed, where the $\langle \nu_{\alpha\beta}$ coefficient captures the average of some remaining coefficients. Difference of velocities= the relative velocity of particle beta when travelling along particle alpha.
  10. Dec 13, 2017 #9
    thanks for responses but, I need some mathematical demonstration to learn better, could you help me about where relative velocity comes from that????
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted