Collisions and changing frame of reference?

In summary, the conversation discusses a collision between two trolleys with different masses and velocities, where one trolley has a perfectly elastic bumper. The questions revolve around determining the speed and direction of each trolley after the collision and the maximum amount of potential energy stored in the bumper. The equations used to solve the problem are also mentioned. The concept of changing frame of reference is brought up as a possible explanation for a discrepancy in the calculated values.
twenty5
collisions and "changing frame of reference?"

Homework Statement

A 6.0Kg trolley moving at 6.0 m/s right overtakes and collies with a 2kg trolley moving 2m/s right in the same direction on the same track. The collision is cushioned by a perfectly elastic bumper attached to one of the trolleys.

A) what is the speed and direction of each trolley after the collision?

B) What is the maximum amount of potential energy stored in the bumper during the collision?

Homework Equations

V1' = v1 (m1 - m2) / ( m1 + m2 )

V2f = 2*m1v1 / (m1+m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

for A) I tried that by substituting in values from the question and It gave me 3m/s and 9m/s... yet the answer says 4m/s and 8 m/s... am I doing anything wrong? =/

**my friend said something about change frame of reference...**

didn't start B yet because I didn't get A yet =/

Physics news on Phys.org

help please...

I would like to clarify the concept of "changing frame of reference" in the context of this problem. In physics, a frame of reference is a coordinate system used to describe the position and motion of objects. In this problem, the initial frame of reference is the ground, where both trolleys are moving towards the right.

However, after the collision, the trolleys will have different velocities and therefore, a different frame of reference. To accurately determine the velocities after the collision, we need to use the frame of reference attached to one of the trolleys. This means that the speeds and directions calculated in this frame of reference may be different from those calculated in the ground frame of reference.

Now, coming to the solution for part A, your calculations seem to be correct. However, it is important to specify the frame of reference being used. If we use the ground frame of reference, the speeds after collision will be 3m/s and 9m/s as you have calculated. But if we use the frame of reference attached to the 6kg trolley, the speeds will be 4m/s and 8m/s, as mentioned in the answer.

For part B, we can calculate the maximum potential energy stored in the bumper using the formula for elastic potential energy: PE = 1/2*k*x^2, where k is the spring constant of the bumper and x is the maximum displacement of the bumper during the collision. This can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations. I leave it to you to try and solve it, keeping in mind the correct frame of reference.

In conclusion, it is important to understand the concept of frame of reference and choose the appropriate one while solving problems involving collisions. I hope this helps.

1. How do collisions occur?

Collisions occur when two or more objects come into contact with each other and exchange energy. This can happen through direct contact, such as two cars crashing into each other, or through fields, such as a magnet attracting a metal object.

2. What is conservation of momentum in collisions?

Conservation of momentum in collisions is the principle that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant before and after a collision. This means that the total momentum of all objects involved in the collision remains the same, even if individual momentums change.

3. How does the frame of reference affect collisions?

The frame of reference, or the point from which an observer is measuring motion, can affect how collisions are perceived. For example, in a head-on collision between two cars, an observer standing on the side of the road may see the cars collide and come to a stop, while an observer in one of the cars may see the other car come towards them and then move away after the collision.

4. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total energy and momentum of the system before and after the collision remains the same. In an elastic collision, the objects involved bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

5. How do inelastic collisions differ from elastic collisions?

In an inelastic collision, kinetic energy is not conserved, meaning that some energy is lost during the collision. This often results in the objects involved sticking together or becoming deformed. Inelastic collisions are more common in real-world scenarios than elastic collisions, where some energy is often lost due to factors such as friction and sound.