1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combination/Convergence of Laser Beams On A Singular Focal Point

1. May 8, 2010 #1
    Hey Guys, first of all I apologise if this question is posted in the wrong forum section and a mod has to move it to its correct location. I am trying to find information on combining the paths of several laser beams. I have found much complex information pertaining to the combination of the beams at the origin of the beams, ie say for example using prisms etc to combine several beams into a single beam which is then projected towards the target. However I cannot seem to find information on the effects of projecting several beams seperately onto a single focal point. Say for example 5 beams were trained on a single focal point some distance away from the lasers and that all the beams were monochromatic, of the same wavelength etc. Am I naive enough to think that the magnitude of the beams being 'felt' by the focal point would be somewhere in the region of the 5 beams combined? Can someone point me in the right direction on this one please?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2010 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What you describe is the principle behind the 'gamma knife'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_knife

The intensities will add; the fields will most likely not since the different beams are incoherent with respect to each other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook