Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combination/Convergence of Laser Beams On A Singular Focal Point

1. May 8, 2010 #1
    Hey Guys, first of all I apologise if this question is posted in the wrong forum section and a mod has to move it to its correct location. I am trying to find information on combining the paths of several laser beams. I have found much complex information pertaining to the combination of the beams at the origin of the beams, ie say for example using prisms etc to combine several beams into a single beam which is then projected towards the target. However I cannot seem to find information on the effects of projecting several beams seperately onto a single focal point. Say for example 5 beams were trained on a single focal point some distance away from the lasers and that all the beams were monochromatic, of the same wavelength etc. Am I naive enough to think that the magnitude of the beams being 'felt' by the focal point would be somewhere in the region of the 5 beams combined? Can someone point me in the right direction on this one please?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2010 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What you describe is the principle behind the 'gamma knife'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_knife

The intensities will add; the fields will most likely not since the different beams are incoherent with respect to each other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook