1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combination of conservation laws, and older things. Need Help.

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A small wooden block, of mass M, lies in the middle of a horizontal table of length L
    and height h above the floor. The coefficient of kinetic friction between this block
    and the surface of the table is μ. A bullet, of mass m, is shot with a horizontal
    velocity into the block. As a result, the block (with the embedded bullet) starts
    moving across the table and finally lands on the floor a horizontal distance D from
    the edge of the table. Use this information to find the speed of the bullet.

2. Relevant equations

ΔP=0 , f = N.μ, ΔE = Woth (1/2mV2 or mgh or f.x), x=V.t, h=1/2gt2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let Vi= speed of the bullet

Well, first i found the final velocity of the block on the table with the bullet inside, then applied energy law to the block BTWN the moments 1 to 2. (1. just off the table 2. on the ground & stopped.) Then i found t, to calculate D from projectile motion relations, and used all i found in the energy law; thus i found :

Vi= √(μ.L+(D2g)/4h)*√2*((M+m)/m)

Is that answer true, I could not find it anywhere else so I need verification please ...
    Thanks! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2
    Vi= √(μ.L+(D2g)/4h)*√2*((M+m)/m)

How can you add L + D2g/4h? Something is wrong.

mu*L has dimensions of length
    2g*D/4h does not have dimension of length

You also have an inelastic collision here.

4. Dec 4, 2011 #3
    It is not 2g, it is D^2 times g. But still the dimensions are not alike.

So how should i do it? Give me some advice please.

5. Dec 4, 2011 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

I got a slightly different answer to you yttuncel. I think you should go through it once again. You can tell it is not right because this: μ.L doesn't have the correct units.

Your answer is close, so maybe you accidentally wrote something in the wrong place while doing the calculation?

6. Dec 4, 2011 #5
    By the way LawrenceC, I did not applied the energy law directly before the collision, I found the velocity after collision then applied energy law. So as energy after collision is conserved, that would be no problem I think.

BruceW, is it Vi= √(μ.g.L+(D2g)/4h)*√2*((M+m)/m) ?

I forgot putting g in Normal force :/

7. Dec 4, 2011 #6

BruceW

Homework Helper

You are even closer, but still not quite right. Did you take into consideration that the block only travelled a distance L/2 along the table? (Since it was originally placed in the middle)

8. Dec 4, 2011 #7
    Then delta P = 0 is conservation of momentum. Fine.....I did not realize that's what it meant upon first looking at post.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  9. Dec 4, 2011 #8
    Didnt even see that mentioned in the question :/ Thank you both for your comments and help :)

Edit: I think I did it wrong again. Because the final velocity on the table is not equal to the velocity just after the collision

Edit2: Ok got it. Lol. Thanks again!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook