Combination of Mutually Exclusive and Independent events

In summary, the question is about finding the probability of at least one of three events occurring. The given information includes that A and B are independent, B and C are mutually exclusive, and A and C are independent, with the probabilities of A, B, and C being 0.3, 0.4, and 0.3 respectively. The correct answer is 0.79, and the method involves using the principle of inclusion/exclusion, which states that P(A or B or C) = P(A) + P(B) + P(C) - P(AB) - P(AC) - P(BC) + P(ABC). By applying this principle, the sum of the probabilities of A, B,
lveenis

Homework Statement

This isn't actually a homework question, I'm reviewing for a midterm I have coming up this week and came across this question in some of the practice exercises that were provided.

Let A,B,C be three events. Suppose that A and B are independent, B and C are mutually exclusive, and that A and C are also independent. Given that P(A)=0.3, P(B)=0.4, P(C)=0.3 find the probability that at least one of the three events occur.

Homework Equations

For independent events / non-mutually exclusive P(A union B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A intersect B)
P(A intersect B) = P(A)P(B)
for mutually exclusive events P(A union B) = P(A) + P(B)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the correct answer is 0.79 (solutions provided) but I'm having trouble understanding how to approach the combination of independent / mutually exclusive events.

Is it easier to count the complement? ie:the event that none of the 3 occurs and subtract it from 1?

If I sum the probabilities of A and B and the probability of A AND C I get 0.79.
ie: 0.3 + 0.4 + 0.3(0.4), but is this the correct method?

Thank you in advance if you can help me understand this!

Physics news on Phys.org
lveenis said:

Homework Statement

This isn't actually a homework question, I'm reviewing for a midterm I have coming up this week and came across this question in some of the practice exercises that were provided.

Let A,B,C be three events. Suppose that A and B are independent, B and C are mutually exclusive, and that A and C are also independent. Given that P(A)=0.3, P(B)=0.4, P(C)=0.3 find the probability that at least one of the three events occur.

Homework Equations

For independent events / non-mutually exclusive P(A union B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A intersect B)
P(A intersect B) = P(A)P(B)
for mutually exclusive events P(A union B) = P(A) + P(B)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the correct answer is 0.79 (solutions provided) but I'm having trouble understanding how to approach the combination of independent / mutually exclusive events.

Is it easier to count the complement? ie:the event that none of the 3 occurs and subtract it from 1?

If I sum the probabilities of A and B and the probability of A AND C I get 0.79.
ie: 0.3 + 0.4 + 0.3(0.4), but is this the correct method?

Thank you in advance if you can help me understand this!

Have you not seen the principle of inclusion/exclusion? For A and B it says P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(AB), where I am using AB to stand for "A and B". Do you see why it has to hold? Draw a Venn diagram to convince yourself, but the basic idea is that P(AB) is part of both P(A) and P(B), so when we add these two we are counting P(AB) twice. Therefore, we need to subtract it once in order to not double-count. The principle generalizes to any number of events. In particular, P(A or B or C) = P(A) + P(B) + P(C) - P(AB) - P(AC) - P(BC) + P(ABC).

RGV

Hi RGV,

Thanks for the help!
For some reason I had myself convinced that because B and C are mutually exclusive this property wouldn't hold. I see now that it just means P(BC)=0 and P(ABC)=0 since B and C can never happen simultaneously.

Again thank you, this helped a lot

Luuk V.

1. What is the difference between mutually exclusive and independent events?

Mutually exclusive events are events that cannot occur at the same time. This means that if one event happens, the other cannot happen. On the other hand, independent events are events that have no influence on each other. The occurrence of one event does not affect the probability of the other event happening.

2. Can an event be both mutually exclusive and independent?

No, an event cannot be both mutually exclusive and independent. These two concepts are contradictory. If two events are mutually exclusive, they cannot be independent because the occurrence of one event automatically eliminates the possibility of the other event happening.

3. How do you calculate the probability of a combination of mutually exclusive and independent events?

To calculate the probability of a combination of mutually exclusive and independent events, you first calculate the probability of each event separately using their respective formulas. Then, you multiply these probabilities together to get the probability of the combination of events happening.

4. Can mutually exclusive events be dependent?

No, mutually exclusive events cannot be dependent. As mentioned earlier, mutually exclusive events are events that cannot occur together. If they were dependent, the occurrence of one event would affect the probability of the other event happening, which goes against the definition of mutually exclusive events.

5. Can independent events be mutually exclusive?

No, independent events cannot be mutually exclusive. Independent events are events that have no influence on each other, meaning they can occur separately or together. If they were mutually exclusive, they would not be able to occur together, making them dependent events instead of independent.