Combinatorics and Graph Theory books

In summary, the individual is interested in learning about combinatorics and graph theory but is unable to take courses on these subjects in the near future. They are looking for recommendations on textbooks to study independently and mention three potential options. They express concern about spending money on additional textbooks but are willing to purchase a recommended text if necessary. They also note that one of the textbooks, "Introductory Combinatorics, 5th" by Richard Brualdi, is required for a future undergraduate combinatorics course.
bacte2013
Dear Physics Forum advisers,

My recent study on number theory and cryptography got me really interested in the fields of combinatorics and graph theory. I am really interested in learning about them independently now since I will not be able to take the combinatorics course until next year, and there is no undergraduate graph theory course in my university :(. My research lab has "Introductory Combinatorics, 5th" by Richard Brualdi, "Introduction to Graph Theory, 2nd" by Douglas West, and "Applied Combinatorics, 6th" by Alan Tucker. Is any of those textbooks good to study combinatorics and graph theory? I am hesitating in purchasing additional textbooks since I spent most of my money on other textbooks...But I will purchase what you recommend if all those books are not good as an introduction. Brualdi is a required text for my future undegraduate combinatorics course.

PK

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is Combinatorics and Graph Theory?

Combinatorics and Graph Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of discrete structures and their relationships. It involves the study of counting, arrangements, and combinations of objects, as well as the properties and applications of graphs.

2. What are some common applications of Combinatorics and Graph Theory?

Combinatorics and Graph Theory have various applications in fields such as computer science, operations research, economics, and biology. Some examples include network analysis, scheduling, coding theory, and social network analysis.

3. What are some recommended books for learning Combinatorics and Graph Theory?

Some popular books for learning Combinatorics and Graph Theory include "Introduction to Graph Theory" by Douglas B. West, "A Walk Through Combinatorics" by Miklos Bona, and "Combinatorics: Topics, Techniques, Algorithms" by Peter J. Cameron.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to understand Combinatorics and Graph Theory?

While a foundational understanding of mathematics is helpful, it is not necessary to have an extensive background in order to understand Combinatorics and Graph Theory. Many introductory books are designed for students with minimal math knowledge.

5. What skills can I develop by studying Combinatorics and Graph Theory?

Studying Combinatorics and Graph Theory can help develop skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and logical reasoning. It also provides a strong foundation for further studies in mathematics and related fields.