Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recommendations for a book on Graph Theory?

1. Apr 18, 2013 #1
    I am currently taking a combinatorics class that surveys a little bit of graph theory and it piqued my interest. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good introductory book on the subject? I am really interested in finding a book that is very readable and not the standard definition, lemma, theorem, proof, etc. style. I don't know if that is common for texts in the fields of combinatorics and graph theory or not. I am also very interested in applications, however I am not a computer science student and I don't know if that's all an introductory book could be applied to. If at all possible, I would love to find a book that had applications to physics.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2013 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

This is older, but Gary Chartrand has been one of the big names in graph theory for many years: had him for undergraduate and graduate courses. Great teacher and writer.
    http://books.google.com/books/about/Introductory_graph_theory.html?id=rYuToT7vHbMC

He has some other texts (one at the graduate level) if you look around.
    I'm sure others will have some good suggestions.

4. Apr 20, 2013 #3
    Thank you very much!

5. May 2, 2013 #4
  6. May 3, 2013 #5
    Oh wow, that's cool. Thanks for the recommendation and trivia!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted