1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combinatorics - Choosing group memebers

1. Mar 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There is a group of 7 people. How many groups of 3 people can be made from the 7 when 2 of the people refuse to be in the same group?

2. Relevant equations
    nCr

3. The attempt at a solution

Here is what I know:

7C3 gives the total number of groups that can be made.

5C1*2C2 gives the number of groups with the two feuding people; because, 2C2 gives the number of ways to choose both of the feuding people, and 5C1 gives the number of ways to choose any 1 of the none feuding people. Their product gives the number of sets with the two feuding people and 1 of the group of non-feuding people.

Based on this 7C3-5C1*2C2 gives the correct answer.

I understand this is the easiest method to solve the problem; however, I don't understand why 5C2*2C1 doesn't give the number of groups that do not contain the feuding people.

Can anyone explain what I am missing, conceptually?

I understand that (7C3-5C1*2C2)≠(5C2*2C1). But 5C2 gives the number of ways to choose 2 people from the set of non-feuding people. 2C1 gives the number of ways to choose only 1 of the set of feuding people, right/wrong? I thought the product of these two combinations would give the number of sets that do not contain the feuding people, but I am wrong. 5C2*2C1 gives fewer than the actual number of sets that do not contain the feuding people. I gotta be missing something conceptually, what is it?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

5C2*2C1 gives you the number of groups that contain exactly one feuding person. It doesn't count the groups that don't have either one.

4. Mar 2, 2013 #3
    Awesome! I forgot all about the sets with neither. So:

5C2*2C1+5C3 gives the answer I was looking for. Since 5C3 is the number of sets which contain neither person and 5C2*2C1 are the sets with either.

So I needed to think about which groups contained either, and which contained neither.

Thank you!!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted