Combining Proportionality Statements

In summary, we combine the proportionality statements for R and d and R and l, leading to the conclusion that R ∝ l/(d2). The solution was initially doubted, but later found to be correct. Ultimately, it was determined that this was a problem of common sense rather than physics.
qswdefrg

Homework Statement

Combine the proportionality statements for R and d and R and l to form one statement relating R, d, and l.

Homework Equations

I already know that R∝(1/d squared) and R∝l

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it was R∝ (l/d squared), but that seems too easy lol.

Please help n_n

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello qswdefrg,

Welcome to Physics Forums!
qswdefrg said:
I already know that R∝(1/d squared) and R∝l

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it was R∝ (l/d squared), but that seems too easy lol.
If by that you mean Rl/(d2), then it certainly sounds reasonable to me. :approve:

So it turns out I was right after all! And I finished the assignment.

I just realized now that this wasn't a physics problem at all; just pure common sense ;___;

What is a proportionality statement?

A proportionality statement is a mathematical relationship between two quantities that states that the two quantities are directly proportional or inversely proportional to each other. This means that as one quantity increases or decreases, the other quantity will also increase or decrease in a predictable way.

How do you combine proportionality statements?

To combine proportionality statements, you must first identify the variables and constants in each statement. Then, you can use algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to manipulate the statements and create a new statement that represents the combined relationship between the quantities.

What are the rules for combining proportionality statements?

The rules for combining proportionality statements depend on whether the statements are directly proportional or inversely proportional. For directly proportional statements, you can add or subtract them to create a new statement. For inversely proportional statements, you can multiply or divide them to create a new statement. Additionally, any constant in one statement can be used as a constant in the combined statement.

How do you know if a combined proportionality statement is accurate?

A combined proportionality statement is accurate if it correctly represents the relationship between the two quantities. This can be verified by plugging in different values for the variables and checking if the resulting values follow the same proportionality.

What is the importance of combining proportionality statements in scientific research?

Combining proportionality statements is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to understand and predict the relationships between different quantities. This can help in making predictions, developing models, and analyzing data in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology.