Combining these two AC waveforms

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating and comparing the frequency of a waveform with a value of 294.62sin(1800 pi t + -0.56)V. The person is unsure of the correct method to use and asks for the generic formula, specifically questioning if f=1/T applies. They also ask for clarification on the unit of 1800pi*t.
joemte
Homework Statement
2 AC waveforms are described by the following expressions (see equations), if V3 is the resultant combination of these waveforms find the following. Use angles as a decimal using a minus sign if appropriate.
Relevant Equations
V1 = 160sin(1800 pi t)V
V2 = 180sin(1800 pi t - pi/3)V
I have calculated V3 to be 294.62sin(1800 pi t + -0.56)V

I am confident this is correct but I now need to work out the frequency of the waveform, I believe it may be 900 but I am not too sure if my calculations are correct and I can't find anywhere on line that aids me in this particular instance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
joemte said:
, I believe it may be 900
Yes.
Be sure to put the unit correctly.

Likes joemte
Hi Mate, what method did you use to calculate the frequency? I'd like to compare it to mine if that is ok

joemte said:
Hi Mate, what method did you use to calculate the frequency? I'd like to compare it to mine if that is ok
Which method did you use?

Helpers are not allowed to give answers directly. We can only check your solution and provide clues/hints wherever required.

Ok I understand that. Are you able to give me the generic formula for working it out? I am not sure it f= 1/T applies to this question or not

What is the unit of "1800pi*t" in the expressions for V1 and V2?

From that, what is the unit of 1800*pi?

Related to Combining these two AC waveforms

1. How do you combine two AC waveforms?

To combine two AC waveforms, you can use a variety of methods such as adding, subtracting, multiplying, or dividing the two waveforms. This can be done using electronic circuits or mathematical operations.

2. What is the purpose of combining two AC waveforms?

Combining two AC waveforms can create a new waveform with different characteristics, such as amplitude, frequency, or phase. This can be useful in applications such as signal processing, filtering, and modulation.

3. Can two AC waveforms with different frequencies be combined?

Yes, two AC waveforms with different frequencies can be combined. However, the resulting waveform will have a different frequency, which is determined by the mathematical operation used to combine the two waveforms.

4. What happens when two AC waveforms with the same frequency are combined?

If two AC waveforms with the same frequency are combined, the resulting waveform will have a higher amplitude. This is known as constructive interference and is commonly used in audio amplifiers.

5. Are there any limitations when combining two AC waveforms?

Yes, there are limitations when combining two AC waveforms. The two waveforms must have the same voltage levels and be synchronized in phase. If these conditions are not met, the resulting waveform may not be accurate or may not even be possible to create.