Combining two passions into a career

• Thread starter anosh_88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary: That might be true, but it's also possible that a degree in computer engineering will give you better job prospects than a degree in physics. Though it's close to being nailed in stone, I want to stress that it's still possible to change your mind about this if you discuss it with your advisor.4) I think you can still work as a computer engineer even with a physics degree, right?That might be correct, but you would need to have a strong background in computer engineering and know how to design and code for the most common platforms.
anosh_88
I am currently a physics major with a possible double major in mathematics. I plan on going to graduate school and getting a master's in computer engineering. That is my long term goal. Haven't thought about a doctorate or any more advanced degrees at this moment (as I think I probably shouldn't at this moment). Anyways, I was wondering how I can combine my passion for physics and math and my hobby of foreign languages? I have looked into things like translation of technical documents, doing history of math or physics (or archeology in those fields), writing physics and math books in foreign languages (kind of like having my own business in that). These are some of the options I have on the table, but I'm always open to other suggestions. Any ideas? And also, what are the chances that I will get into one of the fields that I have mentioned? If bad comes to bad, I will probably just end up doing computer engineering at the master's level and work for a company, but I am also trying to 'liven it up a bit'.

Edit: I've also looked into the military and they pay a lot, but not sure if it will be an enjoyable experience.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think this is in regard to what you're asking, but why are you majoring in physics (and mathematics) if you want to go to graduate school for computer engineering. Would it not be more straightforward to simply get a degree in computer engineering in preparation for graduate school in computer engineering?

Ditto what ZF. said. Though that's a bit hypocritical of me since I did my undergrad in math and I'm going to graduate school in nuclear engineering!

If you are in a situation like I was, and it's most economical/wise for you to go to a school that doesn't have the engineering department that you desire, then I would understand you majoring in physics instead. But you have to make sure you get the relevant prereq courses in and do well in them!

ZombieFeynman said:
I don't think this is in regard to what you're asking, but why are you majoring in physics (and mathematics) if you want to go to graduate school for computer engineering. Would it not be more straightforward to simply get a degree in computer engineering in preparation for graduate school in computer engineering?

Hi ZF. While I understand what you are saying and it seems more common sense to pursue a computer engineering degree instead of physics and math, this, to me, is not the best option for several reasons. 1) The curriculum for physics (and I'm doing the applied option, not the pure) is a little shorter and gives me a general guideline to electronics. 2) I heard that a physics degree will look more impressive on a grad school application than an engineering one. 3) I might not get a job in computer engineering right out of college (I'm not going to the best university right now: CSUSB) so a physics degree might open up more options for me, where I can get a job, save money, and go to grad school (This is all just pure speculation, of course. It's close to being nailed in stone but I still have to talk to my advisor about the career options for physics majors). 4) I think you can still work as a computer engineer even with a physics degree, right?

Another point I want to make is that a physics degree will give me much better preparation for grad school than an engineering degree would. And yes Hercuflea, at the moment, it seems more economical to go for a physics degree (again, I am doing the applied option, not the pure) and the computer engineering department is new and I would guess it doesn't have as much of a reputation (if I even heard of one).

Why do you think that a degree in physics gives you better preparation for a graduate degree in computer engineering. I think that certainly a degree in physics prepares one well for a graduate degree in physics, but why do you think it would give you better preparation for a graduate degree in computer engineering?

anosh_88 said:
2) I heard that a physics degree will look more impressive on a grad school application than an engineering one.

That might be news to the faculties of, you know, graduate engineering programs.

3) I might not get a job in computer engineering right out of college (I'm not going to the best university right now: CSUSB) so a physics degree might open up more options for me, where I can get a job, save money, and go to grad school (This is all just pure speculation, of course. It's close to being nailed in stone but I still have to talk to my advisor about the career options for physics majors).

You should check into the employment rates for people with just an undergraduate degree in physics versus people with an undergraduate degree in computer engineering.

4) I think you can still work as a computer engineer even with a physics degree, right?

You might want to check with some prospective employers on that. A physics degree is not necessarily a 'be all, end all' type of degree. If you were advertising to hire a computer engineer, why would you settle for someone with a different degree altogether?

Okay. To be honest, I was originally a computer engineering major, but I got really interested in physics later on. So, right now I am still on the fence in regards to computer engineering and physics. I'm going to take classes to see which one is for me.

SteamKing said:
You should check into the employment rates for people with just an undergraduate degree in physics versus people with an undergraduate degree in computer engineering.

You might want to check with some prospective employers on that. A physics degree is not necessarily a 'be all, end all' type of degree. If you were advertising to hire a computer engineer, why would you settle for someone with a different degree altogether?

Where can I find statistics about physics-related jobs? I heard teaching at the high school or junior college level is pretty stable, even more so than industry. Also, would an applied physics degree open up more doors for careers in engineering since it is applied? And what kind of jobs would I get?

By the way, I do mention that if bad comes to bad, I'll go to grad school for computer engineering. So I might change my major when I do get to grad school if I see it's more beneficial to stay in physics, but just take a more applied path. And I really don't want to end up in academia. This is not my goal.

Also, you guys haven't even touched on my original questions! :bugeye:

anosh_88 said:
Where can I find statistics about physics-related jobs? I heard teaching at the high school or junior college level is pretty stable, even more so than industry. Also, would an applied physics degree open up more doors for careers in engineering since it is applied? And what kind of jobs would I get?

The federal Bureau of Labor Statistics compiles a lot of this information:

http://www.bls.gov/

I'm sure there is some state or local office in California government which has comparable information for that state and the communities within it. There may even be an office at your university which helps place graduates after they leave school.

By the way, I do mention that if bad comes to bad, I'll go to grad school for computer engineering. So I might change my major when I do get to grad school if I see it's more beneficial to stay in physics, but just take a more applied path. And I really don't want to end up in academia. This is not my goal.

Yeah, we got that. It's just that life sometimes forces us to take detours on the the way to achieving our goals. If you want to study CS (or whatever), IMO it's better to take the most direct course to attaining this goal, and not waste a lot of time and money studying some anciliary field and hoping things sort themselves out later.

Also, you guys haven't even touched on my original questions! :bugeye:

That's because we're trying to digest some of the background information in the OP which seems a little 'unconventional'.

Okay. I talked to my advisor and he said that applied physics at least opens up more doors for general electronics engineering, whereas the computer engineering path is too narrow. At this point, I feel like I will only pursue the bachelor's degree and not worry so much about the master's until later.

1. How can I combine my passions into a career?

Combining two passions into a career requires careful consideration and planning. Start by identifying your passions and evaluating your skills and strengths in each area. Then, research potential career paths that incorporate both of your passions. You may also need to acquire additional education or training to make your dream career a reality.

2. Is it possible to make a living by combining two passions?

Yes, it is possible to make a living by combining two passions into a career. However, it may require creativity, hard work, and determination to find the right opportunities that align with your passions. It may also take time to build a successful career, so be prepared for a potential transition period.

3. What are some benefits of combining two passions into a career?

Combining two passions into a career can lead to a fulfilling and satisfying job that brings you joy and purpose. It also allows you to use your unique skills and talents in a meaningful way. Additionally, pursuing a career that combines your passions can lead to increased creativity, motivation, and overall job satisfaction.

4. Are there any challenges in combining two passions into a career?

Combining two passions into a career may come with challenges, such as finding a job that fits both passions, balancing your time and energy between the two, and overcoming potential financial obstacles. It may also require you to be flexible and open to new opportunities that may not align perfectly with your initial plans.

5. Do I have to choose between my passions or can I pursue both?

You do not have to choose between your passions; instead, you can find ways to blend them together and create a fulfilling career. This may involve finding a job that incorporates both passions, starting your own business, or creating a side hustle that allows you to pursue both passions simultaneously.