Combining two DC voltages for laser locking

• Thread starter PChemory
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dc Laser
In summary, the user needs to combine two DC voltages (0-100 V for scanning and +/- 1 V for locking) to operate a PZT driver for their laser. Their advisor suggested using an opto isolator, but the user is unsure how this would work and if it is feasible for negative voltages. They are seeking help since their background is in chemistry, not electronics. It is suggested that offsetting the negative terminal of the 0-100 V source may be the easiest solution.
PChemory
I need to combine two DC voltages to scan and lock a laser. The scanning will be 0-100 V and the locking will be performed with a small correcting voltage, +/- 1 V. Both of these will be fed into a PZT driver. My advisor suggested using an opto isolator, however I am not sure how that would work unless there are opto isolators that exist with two LEDs and one detector. Also, I am unsure how that would work with the negative voltages. Any help would be really appreciated, as a chemist I only have a general physics knowledge of electronics.

Engineering news on Phys.org
PChemory said:
I need to combine two DC voltages to scan and lock a laser. The scanning will be 0-100 V and the locking will be performed with a small correcting voltage, +/- 1 V. Both of these will be fed into a PZT driver. My advisor suggested using an opto isolator, however I am not sure how that would work unless there are opto isolators that exist with two LEDs and one detector. Also, I am unsure how that would work with the negative voltages. Any help would be really appreciated, as a chemist I only have a general physics knowledge of electronics.
Welcome to the PF.

Can you post more about the setup? What is the source of the 0-100V? What is the source of the +/- 1V? What is the input impedance of the PZT driver?

If your 0-100V source can be offset by driving its negative terminal, that might be the easiest way to do this...Like when you offset the black terminal on the power supply below (don't connect it directly to Earth Ground):

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/514hEOQXZAL._SX342_.jpg
514hEOQXZAL._SX342_.jpg

1. What is the purpose of combining two DC voltages for laser locking?

The purpose of combining two DC voltages for laser locking is to create a stable and precise voltage that can be used to accurately control the frequency of a laser. This is important in scientific experiments and applications where a specific laser frequency is needed.

2. How do you combine two DC voltages for laser locking?

To combine two DC voltages for laser locking, you will need a voltage divider circuit. This circuit will use resistors to divide the incoming voltages and produce a stable output voltage. The ratio of the resistors used will determine the output voltage.

3. What is the role of feedback in combining two DC voltages for laser locking?

Feedback is an important component in combining two DC voltages for laser locking. It allows for the output voltage to be constantly monitored and adjusted to maintain the desired frequency for the laser. This ensures a stable and accurate output voltage.

4. Can any two DC voltages be combined for laser locking?

In theory, any two DC voltages can be combined for laser locking. However, it is important to consider the range and compatibility of the input voltages to ensure a stable and accurate output voltage is achieved. It is also important to use high-quality components and precise calculations in the voltage divider circuit.

5. What are the advantages of combining two DC voltages for laser locking?

Combining two DC voltages for laser locking allows for a more stable and precise control of the laser frequency. This is important for experiments and applications that require a specific laser frequency. It also eliminates the need for expensive and bulky external frequency control devices.