Combining Architecture and Aeronautics: Navigating a Career Change

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking advice on a potential career change, combining their background in architecture and aeronautics. They are considering different educational programs in both the US and Europe and are seeking input on the feasibility and potential job opportunities in the aerospace industry. The responder suggests considering any potential gaps in their knowledge and skills before pursuing a master's degree in engineering.
Bradley87
Hello,

I am new to this forum. At the moment, I am facing a though decision on a slight career change, hopefully you will be able to help me with it.

Here are some facts about me:

- 26 years old
- Master of Science in Architectural Engineering (Technical University)
- Experienced pilot / flight instructor (both sailplanes & 1 engine piston air crafts)

I was always keen on engineering - like mechanics or robotics as well as on the design which is a big part of architecture. Due to my aeronautical background, which is quite unusual for architects, I have made a decision to direct my career path into fields where I would be able to combine both skills. I am mostly interested in the design of manned space vehicles where additional ergonomic, functional or psychological knowledge taken from architecture would be advantageous.

Obviously, I am willing to start another studies to improve my education. I know that I need to choose the next program very carefully and wisely as there is no time to make a mistake.. I live in Central Europe but I am trying to get a scholarship allowing me to study in US (preferably no more than 2 years). Since there is no guarantee that I will ever obtain this grant, I need to search for eventual possibilities in my current location as well. Here is what I am considering for now:

- Space Architecture Master program at University of Houston (I have heard various opinions about it, to be honest I am a little afraid that it is a bit light on engineering and too visionary)

- Aerospace Engineering Master program, USA (a few Universities in States already said that it would be possible for me to apply for their Master program without a Bachelor in related field of study. This would work if I would focus on structural area of AE and eventually take some undergraduate courses)

- Aerospace / Aeronautical / Mechanical Engineering Bachelor program, Europe (for some reason, probably because of the differences, here nobody wants to acknowledge my engineering background and the only way for me is to start from the very beginning)

Please let me know what do you think about my idea. I am really interested whether there is any chance to get an attractive job with my future educational mixture in this narrow industry. Maybe you are aware of more programs that would be suitable in my situation?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Bradley!

I did not go through an aerospace engineering program, so I will limit my advice to one concern that I see as an outsider, which is that master's level engineering programs may assume skills and background that your architecture background lacks. As examples, aeronautical/aerospace engineering may assume proficiency in topics such as differential equations, linear algebra, control theory, systems (signals, state vectors, etc.) and aerodynamics, which in turn employs complex variables. I would take a careful look at your background and see if you need to master any undergrad engineering skills before entering.

Good luck!

1. How do I know if I need a career change?

There are a few signs that may indicate a need for a career change. These can include feeling unfulfilled or unhappy in your current job, lacking motivation or passion for your work, or experiencing burnout. It's important to reflect on your career goals and values to determine if your current job aligns with them.

2. How do I choose a new career?

When considering a career change, it's important to research and explore different options. This can involve networking with professionals in fields that interest you, taking classes or workshops to gain new skills, or even shadowing someone in a potential career. It's also important to think about your strengths, interests, and values to find a career that aligns with them.

3. Is it too late to make a career change?

No, it is never too late to make a career change. Many people switch careers at various points in their lives, and it can lead to great personal and professional growth. It's important to have a plan and be prepared for potential challenges, but with determination and hard work, a career change can be successful at any age.

4. How do I handle financial concerns when changing careers?

Changing careers can come with financial concerns, especially if you're starting at an entry-level position. It's important to create a budget and have a financial plan in place before making the change. You may also want to save money or consider part-time or freelance work to supplement your income during the transition period.

5. What steps should I take to make a successful career change?

Making a successful career change involves a few key steps. Firstly, it's important to research and explore different career options to find one that aligns with your interests and values. Next, you may need to gain new skills or education through classes or training programs. Networking and connecting with professionals in your desired field can also be helpful. Finally, having a solid plan and being prepared for challenges can increase your chances of a successful career change.