Is physics the right major for my academic passions and interests?

In summary: I’ll definitely keep that in mind for the future. In summary, Choppy is considering pursuing a physics degree, but is unsure if it’s the best fit for her.
brymcfly21
Hello everyone,
I am currently a sophomore at a big university in the US and I might transfer to another university soon. I have been conflicted with choosing between physics and engineering for the past 2 years. I love astronomy and is the only academic passion I have besides Earth science and the environment. But I fear a physics major will be too hard for me to understand and also it deal with a lot of electricity and such which idk if I’m fully interested in as I just want to learn about space and planets and such.
Looking ahead at the engineering curriculums, the courses do not intrigue me at all. My applied mechanics class seem a bit boring to me however my chemistry 2 and multivariable calculus class and thermodynamics class are interesting. My grades so far have been
Calc 1 A
Chem 1 A-
Physics 1 Mechanics B+
Physics 2 EM B
Calc 2 A-

I currently enjoy my math and science classes way more than the applied mechanics and thermodynamics classes I am taking . I also like the idea of learning interesting an abstract ideas that comes with a major and do not enjoy the cut and dry that comes with engineering.
Do you think physics is right for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's nearly impossible to tell if a physics major it the right fit for someone based on a single post.

One thing I would say though is that it does strike me as a flag against going into physics when people start wanting to avoid certain branches of it. In my experience the most successful physics students are that ones that seem to enjoy (or at least tolerate) just about all of it. They cone down into a specialized area not because that's the only area that interests them, but because the have to.

Choppy said:
It's nearly impossible to tell if a physics major it the right fit for someone based on a single post.

One thing I would say though is that it does strike me as a flag against going into physics when people start wanting to avoid certain branches of it. In my experience the most successful physics students are that ones that seem to enjoy (or at least tolerate) just about all of it. They cone down into a specialized area not because that's the only area that interests them, but because the have to.

Thank you for your reply Choppy, and you’re right, physics should be something I like inside and out if I truly wanted to pursue it

1. What is the main difference between an engineering and physics major?

The main difference between an engineering and physics major is their focus. Engineering majors focus on the practical application of scientific principles to design and build structures, machines, and systems, while physics majors focus on the fundamental laws of nature and theoretical concepts.

2. Which major is more math-intensive?

Both engineering and physics majors require a strong foundation in mathematics. However, engineering majors typically use math as a tool to solve real-world problems, while physics majors use math to develop and understand theoretical concepts.

3. Can you switch from an engineering major to a physics major, or vice versa?

Yes, it is possible to switch from an engineering major to a physics major or vice versa. However, it may require additional coursework or credits to catch up on any missed material. It is important to consult with an academic advisor before making the switch.

4. Which major has better job opportunities?

Both engineering and physics majors have a wide range of job opportunities. Engineering majors often work in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and construction, while physics majors can find jobs in research, education, and technology. Ultimately, job opportunities depend on the individual's interests, skills, and experience.

5. Is it possible to double major in engineering and physics?

Yes, it is possible to double major in engineering and physics. However, it may require careful planning and a heavy course load. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to ensure all requirements for both majors are fulfilled.