Is physics the right major for my academic passions and interests?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
brymcfly21
Messages
26
Reaction score
3
Hello everyone,
I am currently a sophomore at a big university in the US and I might transfer to another university soon. I have been conflicted with choosing between physics and engineering for the past 2 years. I love astronomy and is the only academic passion I have besides Earth science and the environment. But I fear a physics major will be too hard for me to understand and also it deal with a lot of electricity and such which idk if I’m fully interested in as I just want to learn about space and planets and such.
Looking ahead at the engineering curriculums, the courses do not intrigue me at all. My applied mechanics class seem a bit boring to me however my chemistry 2 and multivariable calculus class and thermodynamics class are interesting. My grades so far have been
Calc 1 A
Chem 1 A-
Physics 1 Mechanics B+
Physics 2 EM B
Calc 2 A-

I currently enjoy my math and science classes way more than the applied mechanics and thermodynamics classes I am taking . I also like the idea of learning interesting an abstract ideas that comes with a major and do not enjoy the cut and dry that comes with engineering.
Do you think physics is right for me?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's nearly impossible to tell if a physics major it the right fit for someone based on a single post.

One thing I would say though is that it does strike me as a flag against going into physics when people start wanting to avoid certain branches of it. In my experience the most successful physics students are that ones that seem to enjoy (or at least tolerate) just about all of it. They cone down into a specialized area not because that's the only area that interests them, but because the have to.
 
Choppy said:
It's nearly impossible to tell if a physics major it the right fit for someone based on a single post.

One thing I would say though is that it does strike me as a flag against going into physics when people start wanting to avoid certain branches of it. In my experience the most successful physics students are that ones that seem to enjoy (or at least tolerate) just about all of it. They cone down into a specialized area not because that's the only area that interests them, but because the have to.

Thank you for your reply Choppy, and you’re right, physics should be something I like inside and out if I truly wanted to pursue it