Combining two trig terms into one?

In summary, if you have two cosine terms added together, you can combine them into one cosine term using the auxillary angle technique. This involves converting the cosine terms to an equivalent expression in terms of sine, equating the two expressions, and solving for the original equation in terms of just one trigonometric expression.
DWill
If I have 2 cosine terms added together, how would I combine them into one cosine term?

Ex:
A) 3 cos(2t)
B) cos(2t - pi/2)

Thanks

PS. I don't think the sum to product formulas work, I'm wondering how to combine them into a single cosine term?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
These kind of operations are easiest with complex numbers.
[tex]3\cos(2t)+\cos(2t-\frac{\pi}{2})=\Re\left(3\exp(2ti)+\exp(2ti-\pi i/2)\right)=\Re\left(\exp(2ti)(3-i)\right)[/tex]
[tex]=\Re\left(\exp(2ti)\sqrt{10}\exp(-i\arctan\frac{1}{3})\right)=\sqrt{10}}\cos(2t-\arctan(\frac{1}{3}))[/tex]

You can solve this by the use of the auxillary angle technique.

[itex]cos\left((2t)-\pi/2\right)=sin(2t)[/itex] (you can confirm this by expanding the LHS, but this is a trigo identity you may remember having learnt).

Now let [itex]3cos(2t)+sin(2t)\equiv Rsin(2t-\theta)[/itex]

expand the RHS and then equate like terms. Solve the system of 2 equations in R and [itex]\theta[/itex] and then you'll have the original equation in terms of just one trigonometrical expression.

1. How do you combine two trig terms into one?

To combine two trig terms into one, you can use the trigonometric identities such as the sum and difference formulas or double angle formulas. These identities allow you to rewrite the expression in terms of a single trig function.

2. Why is it important to combine trig terms?

Combining trig terms can simplify a trigonometric expression and make it easier to solve or evaluate. It also allows you to see relationships between different trig functions and make connections between different concepts in trigonometry.

3. What are some common trigonometric identities used to combine terms?

Some common trigonometric identities used to combine terms include the sum and difference formulas, double and half angle formulas, and the Pythagorean identities. These identities can be used to rewrite expressions in terms of a single trig function.

4. Can you provide an example of combining two trig terms into one?

Sure! For example, let's say we have the expression sin(x) + cos(x). Using the sum formula, we can rewrite this as sin(x)cos(θ) + cos(x)sin(θ), which simplifies to sin(x + θ). Therefore, we have combined the two trig terms into one using the sum formula.

5. Are there any tips for combining two trig terms into one?

One tip for combining trig terms is to always look for common factors and use the appropriate identities to rewrite the expression. It's also important to practice and familiarize yourself with the different trigonometric identities to be able to apply them effectively.