1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combining two trig terms into one?

1. Jan 24, 2010 #1
    If I have 2 cosine terms added together, how would I combine them into one cosine term?

Ex:
    A) 3 cos(2t)
    B) cos(2t - pi/2)

Thanks

PS. I don't think the sum to product formulas work, I'm wondering how to combine them into a single cosine term?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2010 #2
    These kind of operations are easiest with complex numbers.
    [tex]3\cos(2t)+\cos(2t-\frac{\pi}{2})=\Re\left(3\exp(2ti)+\exp(2ti-\pi i/2)\right)=\Re\left(\exp(2ti)(3-i)\right)[/tex]
    [tex]=\Re\left(\exp(2ti)\sqrt{10}\exp(-i\arctan\frac{1}{3})\right)=\sqrt{10}}\cos(2t-\arctan(\frac{1}{3}))[/tex]

4. Jan 25, 2010 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

You can solve this by the use of the auxillary angle technique.

[itex]cos\left((2t)-\pi/2\right)=sin(2t)[/itex] (you can confirm this by expanding the LHS, but this is a trigo identity you may remember having learnt).

Now let [itex]3cos(2t)+sin(2t)\equiv Rsin(2t-\theta)[/itex]

expand the RHS and then equate like terms. Solve the system of 2 equations in R and [itex]\theta[/itex] and then you'll have the original equation in terms of just one trigonometrical expression.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook