1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comments - Publishing in a Physics Journal

1. Jun 15, 2015 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Get paper drafts from others and review them, then discuss your comments with others.
    This is always done in experimental particle physics within the collaborations, but it is possible elsewhere too.

... and you should be able to change elements in the graph easily (i. e. not with photoshop) because you probably have to do so between the first draft and the final paper.
    For the same reason, it is also typical that the collaborations maintain a single author list. Everyone on that list gets listed as author for every paper, regardless of the contribution to this specific paper.

Preprint servers could be worth a note, given their importance in some fields.

4. Jun 17, 2015 #3

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sometimes I found papers accompanied by a supplementary material, in whcih usually the author elaborates his method and/or derivations to the formulae appearing in the main paper. Is there also limitation on the number of page of the supplementary material?

5. Jun 17, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If the supplementary material is managed by the journal, it might depend on the journal.
    In high-energy physics (probably elsewhere as well but I don't know) this material is available independently of the journal, so there is no page limit. Sometimes you even get an internal support note for a public support note, which can have 200+ pages.

6. Jun 17, 2015 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

As mfb said, it depends on the journal. Often the supplementary part is available only online, it isn't refereed, and it is usually minimally formatted and typeset. This means that the cost, if any, to the journal is minimal. So I doubt that it counts as part of the publication fee. How that is handled in journals such as PRL that has a strict page limit, I'm not sure.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook