1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comments - Publishing in a Physics Journal (Addendum)

1. Jun 28, 2015 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The Higgs boson discovery papers had some interesting history concerning the embargo policies as far as I heard, but I don't know details. Both papers appeared in PRL B, while Nature and Science were certainly interested in those extremely influential papers. Reporting it at a conference without getting media attention was impossible, of course.

4. Jun 28, 2015 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The ATLAS and CMS Higgs results were published back-to-back in PLB. There was also a set of three papers (An overview, and a summary of the ATLAS and CMS results) in Science, which were written at a different level: intended for scientists who are not physicists. These were written at Science's request,

Nature was somewhat annoyed, bur the position of the experiments was that PLB was there for us when we were publishing papers that were "dull but important".

5. Jul 1, 2015 #4
    Nice work Zz

6. Jul 1, 2015 #5

atyy

Science Advisor

Very useful information - I had not realized that one would be accidentally violating the embargo if the press reported on a conference presentation!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook