Common area between two circles.

In summary, the person is trying to find the area of a region common to two circles using polar coordinates. However, they are having difficulty understanding the algebra and are looking for a simpler way to solve the problem.
alalall2
I am currently trying to figure out a problem in polar coordinates:
Find the area common to the two circles x2 + y2 = 4, x2 + y2 = 6x.

Using polar coordinates I know the two equations of the circles are r=2 and r=6 cos(theta) respectively. What I tried to do was find the area over the x-axis first then double the result to provide the entire area.

What I thought would be this top area would be the sum of the double integrals from theta limits 0->acos(1/3) and r limits 6cos(theta)->4/6 for r dr d(theta)+ theta limits 0->acos(1/3) and r limits 4/6->2sin(theta) for r dr d(theta).

However I don't think this is right as both integrals provide a result that is either negative or too large to be the value within the designated area.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this what you have?
[tex]\int_{\theta = 0}^{arccos(1/3)} \int_{r = 0}^2 r dr d\theta + \int_{\theta = arccos(1/3)}^{\pi/2} \int_{r = 6 cos(\theta)}^0 r dr d\theta[/tex]

I think the best thing to do would be to find the area of the portion of the second circle that is outside the first circle and subtract that from the area of the second circle. I don't see why you would need to do a double integral. Find the [itex]\theta[/itex] values for the intersections of the two circles and integrate [itex](6cos(\theta)- 2)(rd\theta)[/itex] over that interval.

That makes much more sense to me. Thank you!

Originally I thought I had done this question correctly using cartesians, but my previous answers don't equate to the same values as the ones through polar coordinates. i used double integrals for this solution as well as a sum from between the y-axis and x=2/3 and between x=2/3 and x=2. Is there a better way I am not seeing?

1. What is the common area between two circles?

The common area between two circles is the region where the two circles overlap or intersect.

2. How do you calculate the common area between two circles?

The common area between two circles can be calculated by finding the area of the smaller circle and subtracting it from the area of the larger circle. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula A = r²(cos⁻¹(d²+r²⁻R²)/2+sin(cos⁻¹(d²+r²⁻R²))-√((−d+r+R)(d+r−R)(d−r+R)(d+r+R))/4), where r is the radius of the smaller circle, R is the radius of the larger circle, and d is the distance between the centers of the circles.

3. Can the common area between two circles be negative?

No, the common area between two circles cannot be negative. It is always a positive value representing the overlapping region between the circles.

4. Is there a limit to the size of the common area between two circles?

There is no limit to the size of the common area between two circles. It can range from zero, when the circles do not intersect, to the full area of one of the circles, when one circle is completely inside the other.

5. How does the size of the common area between two circles change with the distance between their centers?

The size of the common area between two circles is directly proportional to the distance between their centers. As the distance increases, the common area decreases and vice versa. When the distance between the centers is equal to the sum of the radii of the circles, the common area becomes zero.