Common rail high pressure pump

In summary, the pump can still spin even if the pressure control valve is closed. There is a minimum amount of fuel that always goes to the plunger.
Charly Segaert
Hello everyone,

I have a question about a common rail high pressure pump.

Most common rail pumps make use of a pressure control-valve which controls the amount of fuel that goes to the plunger. This way it is possible to control how much fuel goes to the rail, so it controls the pressure.

But... If you are going downhill without giving any throttle (no injector opens for a while), the engine still spins and therefore the pump spins as well. When the pump spins, but the pressure control-valve is fully closed, what happens? Is there a minimum amount of fuel that always goes to the plunger? And doesn't this keep on pushing more fuel in the rail, thus increasing pressure? Or doesn't the plunger get any fuel at all, creating a kind of vacuüm?

It's a small thing I don't yet understand. Thanks in advance
Charly

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are a number of ways used to control pressure. Isn't the most common to return the fuel to the tank?

Well, I heard of 2 systems:
One where a pressure control valve is mounted on the rail to open and close the return line.
Another where an Mprop opens and closes the inlet of the high pressure pump.

I make use of the second system. If the Mprop is fully closed, pressure in the rail should drop because less fuel is moved by the plungerpump.
But if you give no throttle going downhill, no fuel leaves the rail. Yet the high pressure pump still spins because the engine does. So if you want the pressure to drop, the plungerpump shouldn't pump any more fuel till throttle is applied again. But to do this, the plunger shouldn't move any fuel at all, and this would result in a vacuum. Is it possible?

I know it's a strange question, but I need it because i have to get a rail up to pressure without opening any injectors for a long time.

Greetings

Charly Segaert said:
Well, I heard of 2 systems:
One where a pressure control valve is mounted on the rail to open and close the return line.
Another where an Mprop opens and closes the inlet of the high pressure pump.

I make use of the second system. If the Mprop is fully closed, pressure in the rail should drop because less fuel is moved by the plungerpump.
But if you give no throttle going downhill, no fuel leaves the rail. Yet the high pressure pump still spins because the engine does. So if you want the pressure to drop, the plungerpump shouldn't pump any more fuel till throttle is applied again. But to do this, the plunger shouldn't move any fuel at all, and this would result in a vacuum. Is it possible?

I know it's a strange question, but I need it because i have to get a rail up to pressure without opening any injectors for a long time.

Greetings
https://www.dieselnet.com/tech/diesel_fi_common-rail_control.php

1. What is a common rail high pressure pump?

A common rail high pressure pump is a type of fuel injection pump used in diesel engines. It is responsible for supplying high-pressure fuel to the fuel injectors, which then spray the fuel into the combustion chamber. This type of pump is known for its efficiency and precise control over fuel delivery, resulting in better engine performance and lower emissions.

2. How does a common rail high pressure pump work?

A common rail high pressure pump works by using a high-pressure pump to compress fuel and send it through a common rail, which is a central fuel storage reservoir. The fuel is then distributed to the individual fuel injectors at high pressure, allowing for more precise and efficient fuel delivery.

3. What are the benefits of a common rail high pressure pump?

There are several benefits to using a common rail high pressure pump in diesel engines. These include improved fuel efficiency, lower emissions, increased power and torque, smoother engine operation, and quieter engine noise. Additionally, the use of a common rail system allows for more flexible control over fuel delivery, making it easier to adapt to different driving conditions.

4. How often does a common rail high pressure pump need to be replaced?

The lifespan of a common rail high pressure pump can vary depending on the specific engine and usage. In general, these pumps can last anywhere from 100,000 to 200,000 miles before needing to be replaced. Regular maintenance and proper use of high-quality fuel can help prolong the life of the pump.

5. What are signs of a failing common rail high pressure pump?

Some common signs of a failing common rail high pressure pump include decreased engine performance, difficulty starting the engine, increased fuel consumption, and engine misfires. If you notice any of these issues, it is important to have your pump checked and replaced if necessary to avoid further damage to your engine.