1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need clarification on the product of the metric and Levi-Civita tensor

1. May 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all, I'm having trouble evaluating the product [itex]g_{αβ}ϵ^{αβγδ}[/itex]. Where the first term is the metric tensor and the second is the Levi-Civita pseudotensor. I know that it evaluates to 0, but I'm not sure how to arrive at that.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My first thought process was that every permutation will include at least 2 indices which are equal, (because every permutation will have at least 2 zeroes) which makes every term zero. That seems too trivial however. Sorry if this sounds totally nonsensical, but I haven't been able to find a resource that really clarifies this.

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2014 #2
    I think you are close to the right answer, but I can't tell because your language is a little too vague. Permutations in which indices? The summation occurs only over the α and β, so these are the only indices you need to worry about. Recall as well that g_{αβ} is symmetric, and if ε^{αβγδ} ≠ 0, then ε^{αβγδ} = -ε^{βαγδ}. Also, ε^{αβγδ} = 0 if any of the α,β,γ,δ are equal.

4. May 5, 2014 #3
    That's very simple. The metric is symmetric and the Levi-Civita is anti-symmetric.
    gαβ = gβα, and
    εαβγδ = -εβαγδ
    gαβεαβγδ = gβα(-εβαγδ) = - gαβεαβγδ

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted