Compact Diode Options for Small Circuit Designs | 1N4148 Alternatives"

• Thread starter aruna1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary, the person is looking for a smaller diode than the 1N4148 for their circuit. They mention surface mount solutions being too expensive and ask for suggestions on a smaller diode. Suggestions are made for the BAV-99s and SOT-23 package diodes, with the reminder that smaller sizes may be harder to solder. The person thanks the others for their help.
aruna1
guys I'm looking for general purpose diode like 1N4148.
it should be small.(smaller than 1n4148).
surface mount solution is not going to work as they are very expensive.

I'm working on a circuit and need to use parts small as possible. i use 1/8w resistors and 1n4148 as diodes as they are small.

can you suggest me any diode that has smaller size than 1N4148?

current ratings are not a problem.

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
1N4148 is about as small as they get in leaded parts. Can you stand them on end to reduce the footprint?

Averagesupernova said:
1N4148 is about as small as they get in leaded parts. Can you stand them on end to reduce the footprint?
I'm voryning about 3D space so standing them won't help

You can get surface mount parts quite cheaply although you may have to buy 10 or so at a time:

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=Y0162
This site lists them at AU$3.35 for a pack of 10 or US$0.28 each.

Doesn't seem too bad.

But the 1N4148 is already a very small diode even with wire leads on it.

vk6kro said:
You can get surface mount parts quite cheaply although you may have to buy 10 or so at a time:

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=Y0162
This site lists them at AU$3.35 for a pack of 10 or US$0.28 each.

Doesn't seem too bad.

But the 1N4148 is already a very small diode even with wire leads on it.

well in here normal one 1N4148 cost $ 0.01 and surface mount one cost $0.15
in above link its cost about $3.15 per one

guys BAW56 is common anode diode array (of two diodes) is there any common cathode ones?

aruna1 said:
guys I'm looking for general purpose diode like 1N4148.
it should be small.(smaller than 1n4148).
surface mount solution is not going to work as they are very expensive.

I'm working on a circuit and need to use parts small as possible. i use 1/8w resistors and 1n4148 as diodes as they are small.

can you suggest me any diode that has smaller size than 1N4148?

current ratings are not a problem.

thanks

BAV-99s are the traditional SMT substitutes for 1N4148s.

In the link, the price was AU$3.35 for a pack of 10, or US 28 cents each.

1N4148WS Diode SMD SOD-323 PK10

but if you can get them for 15 cents, are you saying that is too expensive?

The standard most used package is SOT-23, for diodes, dual diodes, transistors and many other components. For single diodes, 2 of the 3 leads are used: the one on one side and one of the 2 on the other.

There are versions smaller than SOT-23, but not likely you need that. Smaller is harder to solder. Many catalogs like Digikey will shoe the dimensions, and ordering info. Catalog, pages available online. The diode you asked about is in it, and cheap.

cpooley said:
The standard most used package is SOT-23, for diodes, dual diodes, transistors and many other components. For single diodes, 2 of the 3 leads are used: the one on one side and one of the 2 on the other.

There are versions smaller than SOT-23, but not likely you need that. Smaller is harder to solder. Many catalogs like Digikey will shoe the dimensions, and ordering info. Catalog, pages available online. The diode you asked about is in it, and cheap.

Related to Compact Diode Options for Small Circuit Designs | 1N4148 Alternatives"

1. What is a small size diode?

A small size diode is a semiconductor device that allows current to flow in only one direction. It is typically a tiny electronic component that is used in various electronic devices, such as computers, mobile phones, and televisions, to control the flow of electricity.

2. Why would I need a small size diode?

A small size diode is needed in electronic circuits to protect sensitive components from reverse current, to convert alternating current to direct current, and to control the flow of electricity. It is also commonly used in rectifiers, voltage regulators, and signal modulators.

3. How do I choose the right small size diode?

The right small size diode should be chosen based on the maximum forward current it can handle, the voltage it can withstand, and its switching speed. It is also important to consider the diode's package size, as well as its temperature and frequency ratings.

4. Can a small size diode be used in high power applications?

Small size diodes are typically not suitable for high power applications due to their limited current and voltage ratings. However, there are high power diodes available in smaller sizes, such as surface mount diodes, which can be used in certain high power applications.

5. Where can I purchase a small size diode?

Small size diodes can be purchased from electronic component suppliers, such as Digi-Key, Mouser, or Newark. They can also be found in many online marketplaces, such as Amazon or eBay. It is important to ensure that the diode you purchase meets your specifications and is from a reputable supplier.