Compact Operators on a Hilbert Space

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of breaking an infinite-dimensional separable Hilbert space into a finite or countable number of direct summands, which is possible by partitioning the basis. This idea is related to a question about whether every compact operator is secretly 16 compact operators. However, the proof for this is not found in any textbook, causing concern for the person asking the question. The conversation also briefly touches on the question of proving that the set of all compact operators on a Hilbert space is a vector space.
lunde
Hello, I hope I am asking this in the right area of the forums. My teacher wrote the following formula down at our last meeting, and I was wondering if it was true ( [tex] \mathcal{H} [/tex] is the infinite dimension separable Hilbert space):

[tex] \mathcal{K} (\mathcal{H}) \approx \mathcal{K} (\mathcal{H} \oplus \mathcal{H} \oplus \mathcal{H} \oplus \mathcal{H})\approx M_{4} (\mathcal{K} (\mathcal{H})) [/tex]

I'm pretty sure this is true, but I am worried I am crazy, because I don't understand how every compact operator could secretly be 16 compact operators.

I think one formula that could aid in the proof of the above isomorphism is:

[tex] \mathcal{H} \approx \mathcal{H} \oplus \mathcal{H} \oplus \mathcal{H} \oplus \mathcal{H} [/tex]

which I believe to be true considering that [tex] \mathcal{H} \cong \mathpzc{l}^2 ( \mathbb{N} ) [/tex]. So let

[tex] \mathcal{W} = \mathpzc{l}^2 (\mathbb{N}) \oplus \mathpzc{l}^2 (\mathbb{N}) \oplus \mathpzc{l}^2 (\mathbb{N}) \oplus \mathpzc{l}^2 (\mathbb{N}) \cong \mathcal{H} \oplus \mathcal{H} \oplus \mathcal{H} \oplus \mathcal{H} [/tex] .

From this, we take the maximal orthonormal bases [tex] (e_n)_i \text{ of } \mathcal{H}_i = \mathcal{H} \text{ for } i = 1, 2, 3, 4 \text{ and set } (b_n) \subseteq \mathcal{W} [/tex] by

[tex] (b_1) = (e_1)_1 , (b_2) = (e_1)_2, \ldots , b_4 = (e_1)_4 , b_5 = (e_2)_1 , \ldots [/tex]

which is a countable maximal orthonormal basis for [tex] \mathcal{W} [/tex]. This shows

[tex] \mathpzc{l}^2 (\mathbb{N}) \cong \mathcal{W} \cong \mathcal{H} \oplus \mathcal{H} \oplus \mathcal{H} \oplus \mathcal{H} \qedsymbol [/tex]

but I can't find any proofs like this in any of my textbooks, which makes me feel like I am making a mistake. Can anyone please help me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They sound believable. It looks like just another manifestation of the fact a countably infinite set can be split into two disjoint countably infinite sets.

lunde said:
Hello, I hope I am asking this in the right area of the forums. My teacher wrote the following formula down at our last meeting, and I was wondering if it was true ( [tex] \mathcal{H} [/tex] is the infinite dimension separable Hilbert space):

[tex] \mathcal{K} (\mathcal{H}) \approx \mathcal{K} (\mathcal{H} \oplus \mathcal{H} \oplus \mathcal{H} \oplus \mathcal{H})\approx M_{4} (\mathcal{K} (\mathcal{H})) [/tex]

I'm pretty sure this is true, but I am worried I am crazy, because I don't understand how every compact operator could secretly be 16 compact operators.

I think one formula that could aid in the proof of the above isomorphism is:

[tex] \mathcal{H} \approx \mathcal{H} \oplus \mathcal{H} \oplus \mathcal{H} \oplus \mathcal{H} [/tex]

which I believe to be true considering that [tex] \mathcal{H} \cong \mathpzc{l}^2 ( \mathbb{N} ) [/tex]. So let

[tex] \mathcal{W} = \mathpzc{l}^2 (\mathbb{N}) \oplus \mathpzc{l}^2 (\mathbb{N}) \oplus \mathpzc{l}^2 (\mathbb{N}) \oplus \mathpzc{l}^2 (\mathbb{N}) \cong \mathcal{H} \oplus \mathcal{H} \oplus \mathcal{H} \oplus \mathcal{H} [/tex] .

From this, we take the maximal orthonormal bases [tex] (e_n)_i \text{ of } \mathcal{H}_i = \mathcal{H} \text{ for } i = 1, 2, 3, 4 \text{ and set } (b_n) \subseteq \mathcal{W} [/tex] by

[tex] (b_1) = (e_1)_1 , (b_2) = (e_1)_2, \ldots , b_4 = (e_1)_4 , b_5 = (e_2)_1 , \ldots [/tex]

which is a countable maximal orthonormal basis for [tex] \mathcal{W} [/tex]. This shows

[tex] \mathpzc{l}^2 (\mathbb{N}) \cong \mathcal{W} \cong \mathcal{H} \oplus \mathcal{H} \oplus \mathcal{H} \oplus \mathcal{H} \qedsymbol [/tex]

but I can't find any proofs like this in any of my textbooks, which makes me feel like I am making a mistake. Can anyone please help me?

What you have stated is true, but the point is rather mysterious.

You can, of course, break any infinite-dimensional separable Hilbert space into any finite (or countable) number of direct summands -- simply look at the closed span of some partition of a Hilbert space basis. This is essentially what you have above.

The question is, "why ?".

Yeah, the idea of partitioning the basis makes total sense. For some reason I just hadn't been able to find anyone saying that this statement was true, so I started to get worried. But the reason I was interested in a Hilbert space being equal to the direct sum of 4 had to do with the compact operator question I posted at the top of the page. Thanks for your help.

that's not right...

Which part isn't right?

how to prove that the set of all compact operators on a hilbert space is a vector space.. help..

1. What is a compact operator on a Hilbert space?

A compact operator on a Hilbert space is a linear transformation between two Hilbert spaces that maps bounded sets to relatively compact sets. It is a special type of bounded operator that has the property of "compactness".

2. How is compactness defined for an operator on a Hilbert space?

A compact operator on a Hilbert space is defined as one that maps a bounded set to a set that is relatively compact, meaning that it has a compact closure. This can also be understood as the operator having a finite-dimensional "image" or range.

3. What are some examples of compact operators on a Hilbert space?

Some common examples of compact operators on a Hilbert space include integral operators, which arise in the study of differential equations, and finite-rank operators, which have a finite-dimensional range. Other examples include the Volterra operator and the Hilbert-Schmidt operator.

4. What is the significance of compact operators on a Hilbert space?

Compact operators on a Hilbert space play a crucial role in functional analysis and mathematical physics. They have many important properties and applications, such as being essential for the spectral theory of self-adjoint operators, and playing a key role in the study of partial differential equations.

5. How are compact operators related to other types of operators on a Hilbert space?

Compact operators are a special class of bounded operators on a Hilbert space. They also have a close relationship with the concept of "compactness" in topology, as well as with the notion of "trace class" operators. They are also closely related to other types of operators such as self-adjoint, normal, and unitary operators.