Densely defined linear operators on Hilbert space and their ranges

In summary: I don't know for sure.Well, an operator T with dense domain D(T) is invertible if there exists an operator S with dense domain D(S) such that D(T)=R(S), D(S)=R(T) and STx=x for all x.
AxiomOfChoice
Suppose [itex]T[/itex] is an injective linear operator densely defined on a Hilbert space [itex]\mathcal H[/itex]. Does it follow that [itex]\mathcal R(T)[/itex] is dense in [itex]\mathcal H[/itex]? It seems right, but I can't make the proof work...

There is a theorem that speaks to this issue in Kreyszig, and also in the notes provided by my professor; however, my professor's notes seem to indicate that the answer to the above question is "YES", whereas Kreyszig seems to indicate that it's "NO".

Oh...and if micromass reads this, then: Thank you, so much, for helping me out over the past several days.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not at all, assuming that R(T) refers to the range of T. Let [itex]H=\ell^2[/itex], and consider the map [itex](x_1, x_2, x_3, \ldots) \mapsto (0, x_1, x_2, x_3, \ldots)[/itex]. This is everywhere defined, injective, and even continuous, but the range is not dense in H.

It's (by definition) true for invertible operators however (that is: densely defined operators with a densely defined inverse). Maybe your professor meant that??

micromass said:
It's (by definition) true for invertible operators however (that is: densely defined operators with a densely defined inverse). Maybe your professor meant that??

That is indeed possible. This all revolves around a theorem which intends to prove that [itex]T^*[/itex] is injective and [itex](T^*)^{-1} = (T^{-1})^*[/itex].

I'm interested in your definition of "invertible operator", though...this is the first time I've heard that! Does that pertain to something specific (i.e., spectral theory of linear operators on Banach spaces)?

Citan Uzuki said:
Not at all, assuming that R(T) refers to the range of T. Let [itex]H=\ell^2[/itex], and consider the map [itex](x_1, x_2, x_3, \ldots) \mapsto (0, x_1, x_2, x_3, \ldots)[/itex]. This is everywhere defined, injective, and even continuous, but the range is not dense in H.

Great. Thanks a lot.

AxiomOfChoice said:
That is indeed possible. This all revolves around a theorem which intends to prove that [itex]T^*[/itex] is injective and [itex](T^*)^{-1} = (T^{-1})^*[/itex].

I'm interested in your definition of "invertible operator", though...this is the first time I've heard that! Does that pertain to something specific (i.e., spectral theory of linear operators on Banach spaces)?

Well, an operator T with dense domain D(T) is invertible if there exists an operator S with dense domain D(S) such that D(T)=R(S), D(S)=R(T) and STx=x for all x.

Since your theorem deals with invertible operators, I think that this is indeed the case here...

1. What is a densely defined linear operator on a Hilbert space?

A densely defined linear operator on a Hilbert space is a linear transformation between two Hilbert spaces that is defined on a dense subset of the domain Hilbert space. This means that the operator is not defined on every element of the domain, but it can be extended to the entire domain through the use of limits.

2. What is the range of a densely defined linear operator on a Hilbert space?

The range of a densely defined linear operator on a Hilbert space is the set of all possible values that the operator can take on when applied to elements of the domain Hilbert space. This can also be thought of as the image of the operator, or the set of all vectors that the operator can transform the domain vectors into.

3. How do densely defined linear operators on Hilbert space relate to bounded linear operators?

Densely defined linear operators on Hilbert space are a generalization of bounded linear operators. While bounded linear operators are defined on the entire domain Hilbert space and have a finite range, densely defined linear operators are only defined on a dense subset of the domain and may have an infinite range.

4. What is the importance of densely defined linear operators in functional analysis?

Densely defined linear operators are important in functional analysis because they allow for the study of unbounded operators, which are often encountered in mathematical models and physical systems. They also provide a framework for studying and understanding the properties of unbounded operators, such as the spectral theory.

5. How are densely defined linear operators on Hilbert space used in applications?

Densely defined linear operators on Hilbert space have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used in the study of differential equations, quantum mechanics, signal processing, and more. They also play a fundamental role in the theory of integral and differential equations, as well as in the study of boundary value problems.