Compact Sapcetime and Time Travel

In summary: So if you have two particles in the same place at the same time, one travelling forwards in time and one travelling backwards in time, the two particles will appear to be in equilibrium. This is because they cancel each other out.
thehangedman
Someone here once said to me, via post, that "any compact spacetime must have closed timelike curves". Are there any good references out there on why that is / how that is derived?

As an after thought...

Isn't it true that a particle traveling in one direction in time is equivalent to its anti-particle traveling in the opposite direction in time? So, for a closed geodesic in a compact space-time, a particle traveling in this "loop" would appear the same to us as a particle and anti-particle popping out of the void and then coming back together again and disappearing no? As the particle comes around and travels back in time, we would interpret that (or at least the equations make it equivalent to) as it's anti particle moving forward in time.

I would think that a closed universe, in space and time, would allow for regions of time where energy would be isolated. If we could look at this universe from the outside, as we do say looking at the surface of the Earth (a closed 2d example), we would see that on the whole energy is conserved. But if time to those on the surface is like the motions from the south pole to the north (big bang, big crunch), they would see energy being "created" and then "destroyed".

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for that link, and I will look into this more. From my comments after my question though I think this issue can be solved. It seams to me that QM addresses this and that these closed loops can be interpreted as I said. Put simply, any CTC would be the equivalent to the popping in and out of particle anti-particle pairs from the void. Or, put another way, this feature of the void is actually the direct result of a compact space-time.

Sorry, but for some reason I don't see any images / sketches showing up. :-(

thehangedman said:
Isn't it true that a particle traveling in one direction in time is equivalent to its anti-particle traveling in the opposite direction in time?

Actually, from what I've been told, antimatter travels forwards in time. Its state mimics that of normal matter traveling backwards in time, but the particle itself travels forwards in time.

1. What is compact spacetime?

Compact spacetime refers to the idea that the universe exists in a finite space and time, rather than infinite. This means that space and time are interconnected and can be bent or warped by the presence of mass and energy.

2. How does compact spacetime relate to time travel?

In compact spacetime, the curvature of space and time can create pathways for objects to travel through time. This means that theoretically, time travel is possible by traversing these pathways or "wormholes".

3. Is time travel really possible?

While time travel is a popular concept in science fiction, it is still a topic of debate in the scientific community. While the laws of physics do allow for the possibility of time travel, it is currently not feasible with our current technology and understanding of the universe.

4. What are some potential consequences of time travel?

One potential consequence of time travel is the potential for creating paradoxes, such as the grandfather paradox where a person travels back in time and prevents their own existence. Another consequence could be altering the course of history and potentially creating alternate timelines.

5. How do scientists study compact spacetime and time travel?

Scientists study compact spacetime and time travel through mathematical models and theories, such as Einstein's theory of general relativity. They also use advanced technology, such as particle accelerators, to test these theories and gather evidence for the existence of compact spacetime and the potential for time travel.