1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Behind on my understanding of thermodynamics/statistical mechanics

1. Aug 8, 2014 #1
    I am a physics graduate student, and feel a bit behind in my understanding of statistical mechanics. I will be taking that course in the upcoming semester, and feel unprepared for the course. Right now, I'd say my understanding of thermodynamics is about at the level of the Feynman lectures. Could anyone tell me what a decent book is to bridge the gap between that and Huang or Pathira, or Kadanoff?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2014 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

A very good book is volume 5 of Landau/Lifshits. More advanced techniques are presented in vol. IX (non-relatistic QFT/Green's-function methods in equilibrium) and X (kinetic/transport equations, non-equilibrium non-relativistic Keldysh formalism). Another standard source is

Reif, Fundamentals of statistical and thermal physics

For my taste it's tending to be lengthy and repetitive in its explanations. On the other hand it's sometimes good to have more than one treatment of the same topics.

A more modern treatment is

M. LeBellac et al, Equilibrium and non-equilibrium statistical thermodynamics

Another perspective is provided by books using the information-theoretical approach, which I find very convincing. Two good books using this approach are

A. Katz, Principles of statistical mechanics
    A. Hobson, Concepts in statistical mechanics

4. Aug 8, 2014 #3

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Reif "Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics", it's one of the best physics textbooks I've ever had the pleasure of working through and it's the perfect bridge to Pathria (which is what I'm working through currently).

5. Aug 20, 2014 #4
    Thank you for your responses. Reif just came in, and it looks quite good.

I was wondering if anyone has checked out Susskind's online lecture on statistical mechanics, and whether or not that would be sufficient to move on to the graduate texts?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted