Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comparing 8 analog signals and outputting the largest one

1. Jul 23, 2012 #1
    I drew a circuit using paint for this function. I was wondering what kind of individual comparator should I use to save the most power.

Also, what are some less noob ways of going about this?

sorry if stupid question. im an undergrad

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2012 #2

vk6kro

Science Advisor

Comparators give a high output if one input is higher than the other, and a low output if they are the other way around.

They don't pass one of the inputs through to the output. You either get 5 volts or nothing (if "high" is 5 volts)

There are analog switches (like the 4066) which allow analog signals to pass through if a control input is high but stop signals if the control input is low.

Realistically, you should do this with a micro like a Picaxe chip or an Arduino.

You could read the inputs with the A to D converters of the micro and output a 5 volt control signal on an output pin which then switches an analog switch to let that signal through to the output.

4. Jul 23, 2012 #3
    Thanks! that helped alot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook