Comparing an infinite grounded conducting plate to a system of point charges

I've been solving the next problem, with the same figure, and I'm pretty sure I've done everything right, but I don't get the answer I should be getting.In the first configuration, let the conductor be replaced by a grounded conducting sphere of radius R. Use the results from part a to obtain the potential V at every point in the xy plane, z=0, in the second configuration.We know that V= kq (\frac{1}{r_2} - \frac{1}{r_1})= kq (\frac{r_1-r_2}{r_2 r_1}).From part a we know that V=0 if x=0, so if P is located
Lisa...
A point charge q is a distance d from a grounded conducting plate of infinite extent (figure a). For this configuration the potential V is zero, both at all points infinitely far from the particle in all directions and at all points on the conducting plate. Consider a set of coordinate axes with the particle located on the x-axis at x=d. A second configuration (figure b) has the conducting plane replaced by a particle of charge -q located on the x-axis at x=-d.

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/3829/naamloos9zt.th.gif

a) Show that for the second configuration the potential function is zero at all points infinitely far from the particle in all directions and at all points on the yz plane- just as was the case for the first configuration.

I've done the following:
V= [tex]\Sigma[/tex] V= V-q= 1 + V+q= 2

V-q= [tex] \frac{-kq}{r_1}[/tex] with r1 is the distance from -q to a certain point P in space (x,y,z)

V+q= [tex] \frac{kq}{r_2}[/tex] with r2 is the distance from +q to a certain point P in space (x,y,z)

V= kq [tex](\frac{1}{r_2} - \frac{1}{r_1})[/tex]= [tex] kq (\frac{r_1-r_2}{r_2 r_1})[/tex]

***V=0 if r1 r2 = [tex]\pm \infty[/tex] so if r1=r2= [tex]\pm \infty[/tex]

***V=0 is r1-r2=0 so if r1=r2

[tex]\sqrt{(x+d)^2 + y^2 + z^2}=\sqrt{(x-d)^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex]
[tex](x+d)^2 + y^2 + z^2=(x-d)^2 + y^2 + z^2[/tex]
[tex](x+d)^2 =(x-d)^2 [/tex]
[tex]x^2 + 2xd + d^2= x^2 - 2xd + d^2[/tex]
2xd= -2xd
4xd=0
x=0, therefore V=0 if x=0, which means V=0 in the whole yz plane.

Okay so far so good, but the trouble starts in the following part:

b) A theorem, called the uniqueness theorem, shows that throughout the half-space x>0 the potential function V- and thus the electric field E- for the two configurations are identical. Using this result, obtain the electric field E at every point in the yz plane in the second configuration. (The uniqueness theorem tells us that in the first configuration the electric field at each point in the yz plane is the same as it is in the second configuration.) Use this result to find the surface charge density [tex]\sigma[/tex] at each point in the conducting plane (in the first configuration)

I've come this far till now:
V= kq [tex](\frac{1}{r_2} - \frac{1}{r_1}[/tex]= kq [tex](\frac{1}{\sqrt{(x-d)^2 + y^2 + z^2}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{(x+d)^2 + y^2 + z^2}})[/tex]

Ex= - [tex]\frac{\delta V}{\delta x}[/tex]= -kq ([tex]\frac{(d-x)}{((x-d)^2 + y^2 + z^2)^1,5)} + \frac{(d+x)}{((x+d)^2 + y^2 + z^2)^\frac{3}{2})} ) [/tex]

Ey= - [tex]\frac{\delta V}{\delta y}[/tex]= -kq ([tex]\frac{(-y)}{((x-d)^2 + y^2 + z^2)^1,5)} + \frac{(y)}{((x+d)^2 + y^2 + z^2)^\frac{3}{2})} ) [/tex]

Ez= - [tex]\frac{\delta V}{\delta z}[/tex]= -kq ([tex]\frac{(-z)}{((x-d)^2 + y^2 + z^2)^1,5)} + \frac{(z)}{((x+d)^2 + y^2 + z^2)^\frac{3}{2})} ) [/tex]

E in the yz plane is when x=0. Substituting x=0 in Ex, Ey and Ez gives:

Ex= [tex] -kq \frac{2d}{(d^2 + y^2 + z^2)^\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]
Ey= 0
Ez= 0

Because r= [tex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex]
[tex]r^2= x^2 + y^2 + z^2[/tex].
In the yz plane x=0, therefore [tex] r^2= y^2 + z^2 [/tex].

Substituting this into Ex gives:
Ex= [tex] -kq \frac{2d}{(d^2 + r^2)^\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]

The x direction is perpendicular to the yz plane, therefore the electric field given by Ex is perpendicular to the infinite yz conductor plane.

The formula for the component of the electric field perpendicular to the conductor is

[tex]E_n= \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}[/tex] therefore
[tex]\sigma = E_n \epsilon_0[/tex] with
En= Ex=[tex] -kq \frac{2d}{(d^2 + r^2)^\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]
[tex]\epsilon_0 = \frac{1}{4 \pi k} [/tex]

Substituting in the formula of sigma gives:
[tex]\sigma= \frac{-kq2d}{4 \pi k (d^2 + r^2)^\frac{3}{2}} = \frac{-qd}{2 \pi (d^2 + r^2)^\frac{3}{2}} [/tex]

Though my textbook tells me the correct answer should be

[tex]\sigma= \frac{qd}{4 \pi (d^2 + r^2)^\frac{3}{2}} [/tex]

Where did I go wrong? I would REALLY appreciate it if you can help me with this problem. I've checked my work plenty of times, but can't see my mistake.

THANK YOU FOR READING! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lisa... said:
The formula for the component of the electric field perpendicular to the conductor is

[tex]E_n= \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}[/tex] therefore

[/b]
Shouldn't that be
[tex]E_n=\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_0}[/tex]?

You are right. The book's answer makes no sense at all, as the charge on the surface of the infinite plane must obviously be negative to counter the positive charge from above. If the charge on the plane were positive, then the field would not at all act like a dipole, unlike the first example.

I double checked your result with the Pollack and Stump E&M book, and my professors notes from going over this problem recently, and they both match your result exactly. Given the book's answer makes no sense physically, you are definitely right.

~Lyuokdea

Last edited:
Wow thanks a hell of a lot Lyuokdea! I found it pretty odd indeed that the books answer was positive...

1. How does an infinite grounded conducting plate differ from a system of point charges?

An infinite grounded conducting plate is a hypothetical object that has an infinite surface area and is able to conduct electricity through its entire surface. A system of point charges, on the other hand, is a collection of discrete point-like objects that have a finite distance between them and may or may not be able to conduct electricity. In other words, an infinite grounded conducting plate is a continuous surface, while a system of point charges is made up of individual, discrete objects.

2. Can an infinite grounded conducting plate and a system of point charges produce the same electric field?

Yes, they can produce the same electric field under certain conditions. An infinite grounded conducting plate can produce a uniform electric field in its vicinity, while a system of point charges can produce a non-uniform electric field. However, if the system of point charges is arranged in a specific way, such as forming a line or a plane, they can produce a uniform electric field similar to that of an infinite grounded conducting plate.

3. Which system is more accurate in modeling real-life situations?

Neither system is completely accurate in modeling real-life situations. An infinite grounded conducting plate assumes a perfect, continuous surface and does not take into account the finite size of real objects. A system of point charges, on the other hand, assumes point-like objects and does not account for the continuous nature of real objects. In most cases, a combination of both systems is used to model real-life situations accurately.

4. Can an infinite grounded conducting plate and a system of point charges have the same potential?

No, they cannot have the same potential. An infinite grounded conducting plate has an infinite surface area, so its potential is also infinite. A system of point charges, however, has a finite number of charges, so its potential is also finite. Therefore, the potential of an infinite grounded conducting plate and a system of point charges will always be different.

5. How do the equations for the electric field and potential differ between an infinite grounded conducting plate and a system of point charges?

The equations for the electric field and potential for an infinite grounded conducting plate are simpler and more general compared to those for a system of point charges. This is because an infinite grounded conducting plate has a uniform electric field and infinite potential, while a system of point charges can have a non-uniform electric field and finite potential, making the equations more complex and case-specific.