Comparing delta(PV) vs P(deltaV)

• Thread starter ifihadsomebacon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    enthalpy
In summary, when going from E = q + w to H = E + (PV), the product of pressure and volume is added to internal energy to get enthalpy. Pressure is not constant, and this means that H = q + w + (PV) or H = q + PV + (PV) is true. Practically, this means that H is a measure of the amount of work done on the system or the amount of heat transferred.
ifihadsomebacon
Going from:
delta.gif
E
= q + w

To:
delta.gif
H
=
delta.gif
E
+
delta.gif
(PV)

I'm confused as to why you add the product of the pressure and volume of the system to the internal energy to get enthalpy. Is it just because "that's what enthalpy is defined as"? I think I understand that when holding pressure constant, the
delta.gif
(PV)
becomes P
delta.gif
V
and
cancels with the w = P
delta.gif
V
from
delta.gif
E,
giving
delta.gif
H = q.
If pressure is not constant, does that mean
delta.gif
H
= q + w +
delta.gif
(PV)
or
delta.gif
H
= q + P
delta.gif
V +
delta.gif
(PV)
is true? What does this mean, practically? I just am wondering why are there two "PV" expressions in the first place? What even is
delta.gif
(PV
)?
It doesn't make sense to me like P
delta.gif
V,
what about
delta.gif
(PV)
makes it so it can be added on initially?

I know I asked a lot of questions, I'm just trying to make my confusion clear. (Ha)

Attachments

• delta.gif
    delta.gif
    63 bytes · Views: 2,829
  • delta.gif
    delta.gif
    63 bytes · Views: 2,947
  • delta.gif
    delta.gif
    63 bytes · Views: 2,858
  • delta.gif
    delta.gif
    63 bytes · Views: 2,916
  • delta.gif
    delta.gif
    63 bytes · Views: 2,747
  • delta.gif
    delta.gif
    63 bytes · Views: 2,663
  • delta.gif
    delta.gif
    63 bytes · Views: 2,551
  • delta.gif
    delta.gif
    63 bytes · Views: 2,654
  • delta.gif
    delta.gif
    63 bytes · Views: 2,569
  • delta.gif
    delta.gif
    63 bytes · Views: 2,648
  • delta.gif
    delta.gif
    63 bytes · Views: 2,644
  • delta.gif
    delta.gif
    63 bytes · Views: 2,495
  • delta.gif
    delta.gif
    63 bytes · Views: 2,640
  • delta.gif
    delta.gif
    63 bytes · Views: 2,622
  • delta.gif
    delta.gif
    63 bytes · Views: 2,556
  • delta.gif
    delta.gif
    63 bytes · Views: 2,604
  • delta.gif
    delta.gif
    63 bytes · Views: 2,622
Physics news on Phys.org
The meaning of ##\Delta(PV)## is the change in the product of ##P## and ##V##. For an ideal gas, ##PV = NR T##, where ##N## is the number of molecules, and ##R## is a constant, so ##\Delta (PV)## is proportional to ##\Delta T##.

The practical reason for the various thermodynamic quantities is because which one is most important depends on what is being held constant. If a system is isolated---no interaction with the environment--then internal energy is constant. If you have two or more subsystems that are in thermal contact (allowed to exchange heat, but nothing else), then the internal energy is a matter of keeping track of the heat flowing in and out of each system.

But now, if your experiment is held in a constant-pressure environment, then there is an additional way that internal energy can change: By the system expanding (doing work on the environment and thus decreasing its internal energy) or contracting (increasing its internal energy). So keeping track of internal energy is more complicated. If we switch to ##H##, though, we're back to keeping track of heat in and out of each system.

Last edited:
If you consider ##U## as a function of ##S## and ##p##, then $$dU = T\;dS - p\;dV\ .$$Changing to another thermodynamic potential is then a Legendre transform (here, p 15 ff). For ##H = U+pV## you naturally get $$dH = dU + d(pV) = T\;dS + V\;dp\ ,$$ thus making ##S## and ##p## the natural variables for ##H##.

There's a whole jungle of these transforms and there are tricks to not lose orientation

I think you answer "that's what enthalpy is defined as" is the best answer. Unlike internal energy U and entropy S, enthalpy is not a fundamental entity in thermodynamics, but, in many cases it is a convenient function to work with in many problems of practical interest, which you would learn once you begin working many problems. And, in many of these problems, the difference between ##P\Delta V## and ##\Delta (PV)## will be significant. So, just be patient.

Likes BvU
stevendaryl said:
The meaning of ##\Delta(PV)## is the change in the product of ##P## and ##V##. For an ideal gas, ##PV = NR T##, where ##N## is the number of molecules, and ##R## is a constant, so ##\Delta (PV)## is proportional to ##\Delta T##.

The practical reason for the various thermodynamic quantities is because which one is most important depends on what is being held constant. If a system is isolated---no interaction with the environment--then internal energy is constant. If you have two or more subsystems that are in thermal contact (allowed to exchange heat, but nothing else), then the internal energy is a matter of keeping track of the heat flowing in and out of each system.

But now, if your experiment is held in a constant-pressure environment, then there is an additional way that internal energy can change: By the system expanding (doing work on the environment and thus decreasing its internal energy) or contracting (increasing its internal energy). So keeping track of internal energy is more complicated. If we switch to ##H##, though, we're back to keeping track of heat in and out of each system.

So, is enthalpy just a term defined this way in order to simplify the "energy bookkeeping" for constant pressure reactions? I think I saw somewhere that the (+ PV) accounts for the energy required to push the atmosphere out of the way for the volume, which cannot be considered internal energy, but it is useful to consider. Does that sound familiar?

ifihadsomebacon said:
So, is enthalpy just a term defined this way in order to simplify the "energy bookkeeping" for constant pressure reactions? I think I saw somewhere that the (+ PV) accounts for the energy required to push the atmosphere out of the way for the volume, which cannot be considered internal energy, but it is useful to consider. Does that sound familiar?
My advice to you is to delay reaching your decision regarding a physical interpretation of the enthalpy function until you have solved some actual problems first? Otherwise, in my judgment, you will come to learn that you've wasted your valuable time.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between delta(PV) and P(deltaV)?

Delta(PV) and P(deltaV) are both expressions used in thermodynamics to measure changes in pressure and volume of a system. Delta(PV) represents the change in the product of pressure and volume, while P(deltaV) represents the change in pressure multiplied by the change in volume. Essentially, delta(PV) takes into account the simultaneous changes in both pressure and volume, while P(deltaV) only considers the changes in pressure and volume separately.

2. Which expression is more accurate for measuring changes in pressure and volume?

Both delta(PV) and P(deltaV) can be accurate measures of changes in pressure and volume, but they may be more suitable for different situations. Delta(PV) is more accurate when the pressure and volume changes are happening simultaneously, such as in a closed system. P(deltaV), on the other hand, may be more accurate when the pressure and volume changes are not occurring at the same time, such as in an open system.

3. How are delta(PV) and P(deltaV) related?

Delta(PV) and P(deltaV) are mathematically related to each other. P(deltaV) is equal to delta(PV) divided by the change in volume. This relationship shows that P(deltaV) is essentially a simplified version of delta(PV) that only takes into account the change in volume.

4. When would you use delta(PV) over P(deltaV)?

Delta(PV) is more commonly used in closed systems where the pressure and volume changes are occurring simultaneously. This is because delta(PV) takes into account the combined changes in pressure and volume, providing a more accurate measure of the overall change. P(deltaV) may be used in open systems, where the pressure and volume changes are not happening at the same time.

5. Can delta(PV) or P(deltaV) be negative?

Yes, both delta(PV) and P(deltaV) can be negative. A negative value indicates a decrease in pressure and/or volume, while a positive value indicates an increase. The sign of the value will depend on the direction of the change and the initial and final values of pressure and volume.